Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Down Pipe stud

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 08:41 PM
jensend3
Advanced

Default Broken Down Pipe stud

Okay so when I was removing my stock exhaust where the main pipe upstream of the cat mounts to the flange at the bottom of the down pipe i snapped the forward most stud right off. Now its leaking pretty bad even at idle. Sometimes I can smell it and I wouldn't be surpised if I'm losing power. I want to get it fixed asap but I'm not exactly sure how to get that thing out of there so I can have the stud removed. I don't think its possible at all to remove it while its on the car. At the same time I think ill have my whole exhaust welded to together because those seal clamps are leaking and I can't stand that. So what am I in for? I think i need to remove the intake manifold and the exhaust system. If that is the case I know ill need 4 intake manifold gaskets. Anything else major that needs to come off and any other parts I'll need or special tools? I hate being unprepared and I already had plenty of surprises when I did my water pump haha.
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:48 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

You might consider having a go at replacing that stud ON the car...

the will need to pull the turbo to get the downpipe off of it...

the studs are readily available, and easy to drill out yourself... off the car... never tried to do one on the car...
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:07 PM
jensend3
Advanced

Okay, well I've never removed a stud on anything before but I will look in on how to do it and see if I can get it. I also jut remembered that I have a leak at the flange where the crossover pipe mates to the exhaust manifold for the aft two cylinders. Is there a gasket in there or what. Originally I foulnd one nut missing and another loose. I tightened them down as hard as I could but no good. A leak before the turbo is definitely something I want to fix.
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

2 seals between the header and the crossover...
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...skukey_1000365

you will want to seal all the leaks... CO is poisonous... and will fill your car, up until you pass out...
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:54 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

The good news is that you're not losing any power from the downpipe leak, as it is downstream of the turbo.

The bad news is that you can't leave it that way because: a.) you might kill yourself (as mentioned above) and b.) the extraordinarily hot exhaust gas escaping from that massive exhaust leak will fry anything near it (gaskets, wiring, etc.). I'm not sure what's most vulnerable in that spot, but my first guess would be the cables going to the starter from the alternator and battery.

I don't know if it's possible to drill that stud out with the downpipe still in the car. I think the most likely resolution here is to remove the downpipe and replace the stud.

The header to crossover leak is costing you some power, but more importantly, is likely blowing hot exhaust gas onto the oilpan gasket. This will eventually destroy the gasket and therefore must be fixed.

Quick Reply: Broken Down Pipe stud