Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Banjo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 12:48 PM
T951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post PS Banjo

No matter how hard I try I cannot play the theme to deliverance on my banjo bolt......ba-da-boom....

Anyway, is there a specific way to install the banjo bolt? I installed a new PS pump from Porsche Heaven (Parts Heaven?) and I am no longer leaking, but I still get groaning. Could I have installed something wrong, like the banjo bolt?

TIA,

t.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Sounds like you still have air in the system. See saw the wheel back and forth a few times (while running) and see if the fluid is airated in the resivoir. If so, top off the fluid, see saw, top off, see saw, etc.

It takes a little bit to get all the air out. My new PS pump and rack took about a week until the fluid was clear again.

If it still groans, you may have a problem. Also there are 2 diffrent pumps used, and 2 diffrent banjo bolts. The pressures are diffrent (like 75 and 90 bar). The banjo bolts have diffrent orifaces to work with the diffrent pressures.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:35 PM
T951
Pro

Thanks for the info!

I did the right-left-right-left thing many times, then I drove to a cul-de-sac and did circles in opposite directions for quite some time.

My pump was HOT when I returned. It seemed ok when I was doing the turns, but it was not to last. When I was bringing the car back to the house it was clear that I had no PS. I let it cool, it groans, but was fine....after a few minutes it got hot, no more PS. Thats why I was wondering if I did the bolt wrong.

The fluid level has remained perfect. Is it possible I still haven't worked all of the air out? Should my PS pump get so hot?

TIA,

t.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
It will get hot if there is a lot of air in it. Well, it will get pretty warm under normal use as well. With the cap off the resivoir, and the car at idle, is there any fluid movement? You should see it flow in there pretty good. Also, with a helper, you can have them turn the wheel slowly and see if there is a lot of fluid movement. It will suck enough fluid to clearly see if it is working right.

If not, I would try and find a blockage somewhere. A pinched line, a crimp in the PS cooler, etc.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:43 PM
T951
Pro

Thanks again, especially for the quick response!!

I will do so this afternoon. From what I remember (this was about a week or so ago), I didn't see much motion in the reservoir.

Wow, this forum is so great.

If this works I will be down to only 4 major problems with my car!!

TA!!

t.

Quick Reply: PS Banjo