Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble locating sunroof switch in between visors....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002 | 08:15 PM
flyloki
Advanced

Post Trouble locating sunroof switch in between visors....

I'm trying to diagnose my intermittant (well it was intermittant) sunroof ('89 S2) and after searching the faqs and archives I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing. The faqs describe a triangular cover between the visors as the location for the open/closed sensor switch. The only thing I see between the visors is a u shaped piece around what looks like the center hook of the sunroof. Is this what I need to pop off to get to the switch? Once that is off is the switch replacable or cleanable? Any good methods? for this? I've read that you can jumper it but I'd rather it be functioning in case someone pushes the button while I'm not looking. Thanks in advance.

JB
'89 S2 - Still wants faux-targa capability...
Old 03-03-2002 | 09:38 PM
flyloki
Advanced

One other bit of info- I can't hear the motor at all. I was thinking about checking the $100 relay, any way to test this?
Old 03-03-2002 | 11:40 PM
Kirk924S
Intermediate

There's a good description of the switch at the end of this page:<a href="http://porsche-944-garage.tripod.com/shop-manual/body-03.html" target="_blank">944 Garage</a>

The little triangular cover is centered at the front edge of the roof opening (where inserting the sunroof will close the switch). Gently pry off the cover and jumper the switch connection with alligator clips first, to diagnose the switch. If that's the problem you can just snip the wires and solder them together and cover with heat shrink tubing (that's what I did) or use a small crimp splice.

The motor will not run at all if this switch is open.
Old 03-04-2002 | 12:32 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

That 100 buck sunroof relay is totally electronic so you would likely need the schematic to test. There are a bunch of posts on that base.

I was able to fix mine by taking off the cover and by pure luck noticed that a trace on a circuit board was melted. Soldered it back together and was in business.
Old 03-04-2002 | 01:05 AM
flyloki
Advanced

So would I have to manually take off the roof to get to the front switch?

JB

Quick Reply: Trouble locating sunroof switch in between visors....