Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Control camber plates vs. Moooookeh.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Control camber plates vs. Moooookeh.

I swapped my new Ground Control camber plates for the Mookeh (Ebay) specials, and I only regret that it took this long. The Ground Control units are a quantum leap in quality and engineering. The Mookeh plates are minimalist. An outer plate that bolts under the fender, an inner plate that slides, and a spherical ball joint that the strut rod goes through. The Ground Control units have an integrated upper spring hat that includes its own bearing surface that takes the weight off the spherical joint. That's been a problem with the Mookeh plates -- the spherical joint binds up.

Install was easy. Unbolt sway bar, unbolt strut nut, drop strut out. Unbolt old plates install new ones. I marked the strut rod position carefully so I could replicate alignment when installing the new camber plates.

I bolted it up, and once off the jacks, noticed the first difference. Even though the GC units also bolt under the fender, they still reduced ride height by about 3/4 inch. Since I was already very low, I readjusted the coilovers to bring ride height back up. (It's actually still too low, but I'll go up another 1/4" when I have it jacked up next).

On the road, the difference in feel is shocking. I never realized how much feel and feedback was being masked by the bound up spherical joint on the Mookehs. Steering was super-light at speed, and very sensitive. It's also nice to be able to turn the steering wheel in parking lots without hearing the springs "ping ping ping" on the (frozen) spring hats.

The GC units are on perpetual sale (the under-fender ones, not the top mount) and you get a lot of good engineering for under $300.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES! I am a big time 'hater' of those Mookeeh camber plates. I went through hell and back trying to get those to unbind and comfortably ride well, and they didn't. Long story short I went through another hassle to return them.

I have not yet upgraded to something better other than just running solid strut tops in my 951, but I have installed a LR camber plate set on someones 944 and was beyond impressed with the difference in quality.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also in love with my GC plates... good thread!

Quick Reply: Ground Control camber plates vs. Moooookeh.