Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine V8 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I certainly do not know a lot about it and my instinct tells me John is right on the money. I would be willing to say that the marine applications are pretty tough motors though. I also understand the cooling systems to be different. As for the weight, a SBC, iron block, is lighter than a 928 alloy motor.
we used to tie our Hobie Cat to a chain on the beach. The other end of the chain was wrapped around a SBC block buried in the sand...yes they do make good anchors.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

a street automotive motor is NOT acceptable for use in a boat, and vis a versa.. boat motors are NOT acceptable for use in a street car, they are tippicaly rated at 4500 RPM or below, constant duty, and emiisions are out the window on a marine use motor...
John

I don't disagree with your comment re: the cam...we always either ordered a new marine cam or re-used the cam from the motor we were replacing.

All I can say is that the mechanic I worked with (actually both of them) were German technicians...and unbelievable mechanics. We did close to a hundred rebuilds together including a few in my father's various boats. All of them were either new short blocks from GM or used camaro/corvette or van motors.

Most of them ran for years and were raw water cooled to boot.

Quick Reply: Marine V8 swap?