Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm light output

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 06:06 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post alarm light output

I am installing an alarm and it only has a single light output. I want to connect it to the fuses for the parking lights. The instructions say that I will need to use a diode. What is a diode and can I just get one from RadioShack? I have some extra relays that came with the alarm, will I be able to wire it in using one of the relays? TIA
Old 04-10-2003, 10:10 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

i don't know exactly what the wiring for your car looks like, but here's the principle (a little over simplified). Depending on how you hook up the alarm to the parking lights you might or might not need a diode. A diode is a one way gate so that electricity doesn't flow in both directions. If you hook up the alarm to the signal lights, there will be a connection between all of them and all will go on whenever you try to signal, like the safety flasher. The diode isolates the left and right set and that doesn't happen. Another way to do this though is to look under the dash where the light switch is. Find which wires go to the parking lights only, the ones which are active when the light switch is in the parking lights only position. This is already isolated, and so you can tap into both of these (on my 968 the wires were gray/red and gray/white i think). Connect them to a relay, and run the relay trigger to the alarm light output. That should work, its pretty easy to do despite the long winded description, its hard to screw anything up too much, and you already have the parts.
good luck.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:30 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Thanks I was going to connect the single light output wire to the parking light fuses but there were two fuses. Now I am going to connect them to the wires for the light switch using a relay.

Quick Reply: alarm light output