Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5" front speakers in late 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Dax951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to Salem yesterday to get a quote from "Hear No Evil" for an install. Here's what we figured out:

- Install custom fiberglass enclosures (covered in color/texture matched vinyl) for 6.5" separates in the front. They would basically put it in the center of the lower front door panel, starting where the current panel is, and working back. The enclosure would be pushed out (to fit in the larger speaker depth) and angled up slightly (for better imaging.)

- Rear channel, he suggested I go with some simple 4x6's that fit in the stock location.

- Sub box, 10" in the spare tire well. They suggested cutting the carpet around the spare tire well (removing the spare tire hump) and making a removable cover/grill. The amp would be mounted on the front side of the well, next to the sub. I Alpine's BIG 5 channel, it fit perfectly... might even fit (with some minor work) with the tire still in there.

Cost of install (not including speakers/components): $1200 labor + $200 materials. Yikes! I'm going to get a little better sound than my last car, where the install only cost me about $150 bucks.

Also I still have to pay for speakers. We a|b'd MB Quart's Reference, and a/d/s's 3 series separates. The ads's sounded much smoother, $650 for that setup.

With that, rear speakers (MB Quart's 4x6) $120, and a Python car alarm (with door lock, and window modules) $400, the total quote was over $2600!

Seems like alot to spend on a setup considering I already have the amp, deck, and subwoofer. I would definitly not do it unless I could get him to give me a deal (30%-40% off on the retail stuff.)

Anyway, that was my experience... thought you all might be interested in hearing some numbers.

Has anyone else had custom enclosures made, or gotten quotes? ---- I know this discussion has been going on for awhile, but I don't think the horse is quite dead yet!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:18 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pic of 6.5" MB Quart in my door...........

Sorry this took so long.........

Old 03-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Dax951
Advanced

Scott -
That looks really clean. You don't have any problems with the speaker hitting the dash when the door closes? I guess the top right hand corner above the speaker was actually underneath the stock grill... right?

Thanks for the pic!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:23 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, speaker clears the dash. The panel is 1/2" covered vinyl.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:32 PM
jgk62
Advanced

Look here for an idea
<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnknorr/87_951.htm" target="_blank">My 951</a>
I wish I could tell you how it was done but the PO did it. You can't see it but theres also additional tweeters mounted on the top of the dash, and 3 speakers on each side in the back seat area (14 speakers total plus a sub tube in the hatch). Overkill yes, but with the DSP effects it sounds good.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Driver's side glove box?

Oops.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Dax951
Advanced

Hey guys,
I ordered the Radioshack 4x6's with grills and installed them yesterday. I figured the $15 bucks was worth it to check it out and see how it looks. The verdict is: good!

Minor issues: The grill is pretty tightly squeezed against the dash when the door is closed, and there is a small wrinkle in the vinyl in front of the speaker where the old grill was. The radioshack button label thingy had to go, I heat gunned it and it came off really easy. Where the label was it is slightly indented, but it doesn't look bad. I'm thinking about putting something else in there that fits the same form factor.

I'll post some pics asap, but I got to tell you all, it looks really good. Very stock like appearance.

In fact, after seeing them installed, I doubt I'd do the 6inch speakers. Now my only question is what 4x6's should I get to put in there. Guess I'll start another thread for that...

Btw, for now I have the RadioShack speakers installed, and they sound 100% better than the stock speakers. They are a really great speaker for the money!
Old 04-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Which 4x6? There have definately been a number of threads on this...My favorites are looking like the Boston Acoustic FX7e's, with the MB Quart suckers (deep) and Blaupunkt 4x6 xi's or whatever coming in second.

The FX7's handle 80 watts RMS and are 2" deep, I think. The corporate websites have info, and Crutchfield stocks the Blau's...$60, I think, 40 watts RMS...
Old 04-08-2002, 12:49 AM
Dax951
Advanced

All those speakers look nice, but I dunno how to deal with the speaker depth. The Blau's are the only one's that come with spacers and grills right? I'll have to look around but I don't remember anyone getting anything near 2" in using the RadioShack grills.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Porschemunkey
Track Day

Talking

1983 944 N/A
By measurement, I've found that a speaker that's no deeper than 2" will fit in the front opening, when top mounted on the front of the door panel. Most quality 4x6 speakers are now deeper than this due the the higher power-handling magnet structures. This, and the fact that the 4x6 mounts are inset in the door panel means that most won't fit.

I'm going to use a Rockford Fosgate 6" "universal" fit speaker in my doors to replace the 3.5" Clarions mounted in a baffle board in the stock opening. I'm giving up on the 4x6 option completely. The RF speakers have a very nice black grill/silver shell appearance, and are 1 15/16" deep. Very shallow! Yes I will have to trim my panel and a little of the underlying metal to allow the magnet to fit, but for increased front imaging and midrange, its well worth the effort.

In the rear, thanks to a previous owner, I had to make two thin wood baffle boards to cover his butchering of the stock 4x6 opening (had to seal the air leaks. Wrapped the baffle boards in matching black vinyl, and mounted 2 Lanzar 4x6 speakers. DEEP magnets, but they look fine in the boards... Plenty of power handling if I ever want to amp it later. Inexpensive too!

I use a Kenwood 8" tube-type sub tied down to the cargo strap points on the back of the rear seat. Black sub + black tint = invisible bass! If Kenwood still made this thing in a 10" I'd go get one. It sounds great, I just want a bit more bass. As others have posted, its easy to remove for auto-x, and doesn't really add all the much weight for daily driving.

I'll post some photos after I install the Rockfords in the front.
Porschemunkey
Old 04-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Indeed. The MB Quarts are 2.38" deep. Not so good (might work in the rear). The FX7e's are exactly 2" deep...These really won't fit with the RadioShack grill? My plan was to buy four of these, and use the RadioShack grills up front...Or create my own spacer out of MDF which I really don't want to do.

Using different specced speakers up front and rear would mean you would have to use a four channel amp, correct? I'd like to wire the mains to two channels, and bridge the rear channel to a sub.

The Blau's are 1-11/16" deep, and the factory speakers are 1-5/8"s deep. Surely those suckers will fit.

I really don't want to cut, I'm sure I'd make a mess of things.

Edit: And just to add, I tried to remove my spare (that's where the amop is mounted) and it wouldn't come out. In a pinch, I can remove the amp pretty easily, so the spare is still functional, but even more of a pain, it would seem...
Old 04-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Dax951
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Tremelune:
<strong>Indeed. The MB Quarts are 2.38" deep. Not so good (might work in the rear). The FX7e's are exactly 2" deep...These really won't fit with the RadioShack grill?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think so, at least not without some other modifications. The grill has two pieces, a plastic frame type thing that sits on top the speaker, and the grill the snaps into it. Given the tweeter protrusion, and the shallowness of the grill that pops in, I don't think you could mount a speaker on top of the frame, and mounting it behind would make it too deep, right? Putting spacers behind the speaker won't work either because the grill is already pushed up against the dash as it is.

I tried top mounting the Radioshack speaker on the plastic frame, and it just didnt work. The other speakers might though.

Anyone know about this first hand?

The Blau's are starting to sound like the best option to me...
Old 04-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

I wish I knew more people who did this kind of stuff. I might take it down to a shop and just stick different speakers in there and see how things fit.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:00 AM
Turby
Banned

Ya know.....I dont even have a radio in my car yet. But when I do put a "system" in, it will be with focal polykevlar speakers.....you will retain the stock look, while having a stereo that sounds like you have an orchestra in your car. the only down side is the $500-800 a pair for the speakers.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Dax951
Advanced

turby - What exactly do you plan on doing? Getting their components and mounting them on a plate behind the stock grill?

Quick Reply: 6.5" front speakers in late 944