Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bolts are stretch bolts on a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What bolts are stretch bolts on a 944?

How many things use throw away, torque once type of bolts? I know the axle shaft bolts are 1 use. What else do you need to buy new fasterners for if you remove it? Just curious after breaking a steering rack mount bolt.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rod nuts.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Flywheel Bolts one time use, 85 1/5 up Rear Axle Nuts one time use, Chank Shaft Main nuts, as mentioned Rod Nuts. ALL Self-locking Nuts are a one time use.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dryslick,
I looked at an old post of yours to find out what year you have (update your signature line...)

guote:
I just got an 86 944 on trade. It runs well and everything works. I'm still spending money on it. So far I've had it for about 1 month and have spent around $2000. I've been fixing things that worked but should be fixed. This is how much I've spent while buying mostly used or reconditioned parts and doing all the work myself. They are expensive! This was with a car with most of its service history and maintanance being done on it by the previous owners. I have had to wait for 2-3 weeks to get some of the parts that are on backorder too. You can't just go to your local autoparts store and find everything you need to fix it. You will have to buy special tools if you do the work yourself also. Not a recommended DD unless you have a backup form of transpo. I think my car will be very dependable once I get everything finished that I'm working on though. end.

Congratulations. $2000 is about right amount to spend after purchase.

Cam gear bolt. Do not retorque. Get the new updated bolt with triple square head----
If the bolt becomes loose, the cam gear will shear the shaft key and you will need a new cam. Should replace the $4 bolt.

Pressure plate bolts are owners choice.

Cam housing bolts are owners choice---If you strip a head you will understand why you should.

The water pump bolts do not stretch, they rust. good to replace with WP change. Kit at Zims.

New nuts when you change the head gasket. Yes you will learn how if it has not been done. Do not reuse. You can reuse the head studs and washers (scuff)

New bolts for the CV joints. Owners choice.

GL
John_AZ
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

The only ones I've never re-used are the rod nuts. I've stripped a few pressure plate mount bolt heads but flywheel and axle bolts have 250K miles on them.... Make sure the triple point tool is fully seated and square to the bolt head when torquing....
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nut behind the steering wheel. Seems to need replacement every 50k or after major damage.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Ha ha... yea I forgot about that one..
Old 05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont replace the axle bolts, really the only bolts I replace are the waterpump bolts the first time i do one, and i use anti-seize on the w/p bolts and torque to spec. The only reason you broke the steering mount bolt is because you over torqued it, they are long thin bolts and dont require a lot of torque. When i do axle bolts I use a Snap-On socket, seat it with a hammer, and use gradually increasing pressure till they pop, same with the cam tower bolts, they pop HARD it will take 30 seconds to a minute sometimes to get them to break loose, but the axles I make sure the bolts and flanges are clean/free of grease. If i have any issue with removing the cam bolt I replace it.

Mark

Quick Reply: What bolts are stretch bolts on a 944?