Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDIT - STRANDED ON ROAD! Voltmeter haywire. Alternator or Battery Bad? IceShark?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 02:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sm, your e-mail showed up and we have all that taken care of. Good Luck!

Hans, yes disconnecting the alternator would be a good idea but you have to get at the terminal to do that or start cutting wires ..... all of which is some work. I have e-mailed sm back and forth and I think he is going to try and fix the alternator in the parking lot rather than try and limp it home. That is going to be a fun job because you need to take off a lot of parts to get at the alternator on a 951.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:11 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote] I'm gathering the tools and courage to make the trip out there...
That is going to be a fun job because you need to take off a lot of parts to get at the alternator on a 951.... <hr></blockquote>
Dont forget the coffee, you need lots of it..
A thick blanket would help your back survive the tarmac imprint as well...
Good luck, hope weather is fine
TakeCare
Old 03-20-2002, 10:39 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks to you all for the help. I bought two batteries from Sears yesterday and drove up to pick up my car. I made it home using only one of the batteries, so now I can return the other and get some money back - which I can throw at the coolant leak (waterpump?) and the bad alternator!

So at least we now know how many miles we can drive on the battery alone without the alternator working. BTW, I pulled all the accessory fuses to conserve as much power as possible. I even used the handbrake at stoplights

Thanks again to you all for the help.

sm
Old 03-21-2002, 12:14 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sm, LOL! I figured that would work, but I didn't want you to buy the second (third) battery. A new one plus an old fully charged one.

Anyway, it all worked out OK and you have a new battery. Well, I guess you have two new batteries if Sears won't take one back.

If you are going to get the alt rebuilt, do it at 14.4volts, per our old conversation.

Quick Reply: EDIT - STRANDED ON ROAD! Voltmeter haywire. Alternator or Battery Bad? IceShark?