Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM front speaker spacers....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM front speaker spacers....

I just bought these off Ebay. I didnt know there were spacers available....very cool. Maybe I can fit some Infinity Kappas or JL Audio's in there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats interesting because I have a set of speaker grills that look almost like aftermarket units with metal screens on them but they have 944 part numbers. I could never figure out how they were supposed to mount because they look like they would clip on to something and I am guessing now that it must be that spacer you just posted.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...in 2 1/2 years of ownership, I have never seen or heard of factory spacers/wire grills. Can you post a picture? Seems like there would be quite a market for these.

What is the part #?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will post pictures and a part number when I go back to SC in a week or so.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful, some of these spacers ( IIRC, the ones shown) are thick to the point when you close the door they put a lot of pressure on your lower dash. Doesn't seem like much at the time, until summer.....when the pressure from both sides+sun+high heat= dash warping at the corners & cracking.

Not being negative, just make sure if you use them that there is still clearance between the extension and the dash (doesn't have to much at all 1/8" or so).
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have the full factory metal mesh grills and surrounds for my fronts. Came with my 89 when I bought it, they have been in since new. I was told that a lot of the later cars ('90 on) came with them. They are referred to as late style speaker grills, are in the parts catalogs, there is the grill, speaker surround 4 black screws, 4 thick grey plastic washers, and 4 small anodized washers per side. They mount into the original spot/screw holes on the door/door panel obviously and they are ridiculously expensive also. I had tracked them down a few years ago to give as a gift to a buddy of mine and I almost had a heart attack when I got the quote on the phone...I believe the grills and surrounds are still available and maybe the screws. I know that they don't make the plastic washers any more and the anodized ones are common.

Car is in storage right now, but I will be happy to post part #s and pics when I can. They look great, better than the other style.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM
wesselkh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flat12boxer
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have the full factory metal mesh grills and surrounds for my fronts. Came with my 89 when I bought it, they have been in since new. I was told that a lot of the later cars ('90 on) came with them. They are referred to as late style speaker grills, are in the parts catalogs, there is the grill, speaker surround 4 black screws, 4 thick grey plastic washers, and 4 small anodized washers per side. They mount into the original spot/screw holes on the door/door panel obviously and they are ridiculously expensive also. I had tracked them down a few years ago to give as a gift to a buddy of mine and I almost had a heart attack when I got the quote on the phone...I believe the grills and surrounds are still available and maybe the screws. I know that they don't make the plastic washers any more and the anodized ones are common.

Car is in storage right now, but I will be happy to post part #s and pics when I can. They look great, better than the other style.
Very old thread (sorry), but I'm looking to replace my front speaker grills and have found all the parts on pelican with the exception of the thick plastic washers/bushings. Any idea how thick they are? I figure I could find similar ones or fashion my own since their purpose is just to space out the frame so the grill can click on.

Quick Reply: OEM front speaker spacers....