Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise while turning to the left.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise while turning to the left.

I am having a problem with my 92 968 coupe tiptronic.

I am hearing a bad grinding noise from the rear of the car when turning hard to the left. While doing the same in a right turn I get no problematic sound. Any ideas?

I have ruled out the exhaust hitting something and the wheels scrubbing the fenders.

Could the CV joints on the driveshafts or the differential be making such a sound? I do not have any clicking sound to indicate CV joint failure.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

classic wheel bearing symptoms. If I remember rightly if you hear the noise when cornering left then the bearing is worn on the right hand side of the car.
No noise when cornering right because all the weight is taken off the right hand side wheels

Jack the rh side and wiggle the wheels for any free play.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

I have recently checked the rear wheels for play and there was none. I will keep bearings in mind, but I am hoping to get some confirmation that this could not be the differential. Any other ideas?

Edit:
Definately no slack/play on the right rear wheel. However I am able to push the gearbox from side to side by a good centimeter or two (0.5-1") with my bare hands. Is this too lose for a good gearbox mount? Keep in mind the 968 have only a single mount.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
rihaa
Racer

This revives an old post, but I am having a similar issue right now and wondering if any resolution was reached on this.

I currently get a grinding/clunking (continuous while turning) from the rear while turning right. I replaced my CV joints and it has not fixed the issue. I will check the wheel for play indicating a bad wheel bearing, but was wondering if there are any other possibilities for a mechanical noise (as opposed to tire rubbing) from the rear only under left turns. Noise is much worse when making a tight left turn at intersections, but also present on more sweeping turns at speed.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

on my car I had this grinding noise - I kept on driving - untill one of my rear brake caliper bolts flew OFF the caliper

when we opened to see the bearing - it was ALL crushed

so I'd suggest you don't wait as long as I did and adress the issue in a timely manner (I drove my car for about 1 month before the bolt flew off - don't wait this long!)

edit: also wanted to add, on my car we changed bearings on both sides - and the bearing on the other side was also bad, but not as bad
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by rihaa
This revives an old post, but I am having a similar issue right now and wondering if any resolution was reached on this.

I currently get a grinding/clunking (continuous while turning) from the rear while turning right. I replaced my CV joints and it has not fixed the issue. I will check the wheel for play indicating a bad wheel bearing, but was wondering if there are any other possibilities for a mechanical noise (as opposed to tire rubbing) from the rear only under left turns. Noise is much worse when making a tight left turn at intersections, but also present on more sweeping turns at speed.

Thanks.
CLUNKING is usually CV joints. But if you replaced those and it's still making the sound it's wheel bearing or if not there i'd say diff.

Even bearings going out can show little to no play and still be going bad. Bearings are REALLY bad once there is play. It is most preferable to have things replaced /before/ they reach that point of failure.

When in doubt, pull them out. Inspecting and seeing if they are bad is well worth your time.

I couldn't find any play in my wheel either. Once I took the bearings out though....
Name:  bear.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  PIC_0013.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  99.0 KB

Worst that can happen if you pull them out and they end up being fine is you end up repacking them and putting them back in and torquing things down. Cheap and easy to do. I'd rather do that than have a failure when I least want/expect it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 its pretty obvious that it is a wheel bearing . They are cheap to replace . Mmm this is an old thread !

Quick Reply: Grinding noise while turning to the left.