Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 02:12 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face blown intake manifold gasket

i can see a bit of gasket sticking out, and my car is running considerably rougher. have any of you had to replace the intake manifold gasket?

the porsche technician i know said it is unusual, and he thinks he can loosen the manifold enough to just slip in the new gasket. is this possible?

also, if you had to replace it, did you get the gasket from the dealership?
Old 09-20-2002, 02:48 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know about the NA, but I did have to replace one on my 951. I bought the gaskets from the dealer and went ahead and replaced them all. Took some time, but it's really pretty straight forward - on the 951 at least! my guess is that the NA would be easier.

BTW, mine also had a small bit of gasket sticking out. Car ran awful, no vacuum at all!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:05 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think that you can slide them in. IIRC there are holes in each gasket that the bolts pass through.
The job on an N/A is very straightforward, and should take no time at all. This would also be a great opportunity to check the condition of the vac lines under the intake, as well as the Idle Stabilizer.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

My gaskets were petrified. It took an hour of spraying gasketing remover and some carefull scraping. Remember thats an Aluminum head that can be goughed easily. And yes, the gasket will not just slip under (951). the manifold bolts go through it.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:52 PM
NY 85.5 944
Advanced

Smile

well, i took my manifold off to get to my head. the gaskets slid right off. it should be an easy fix
Old 09-21-2002, 02:10 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

You can loosen each of the 6mm allen socket bolts in the intake manifold about 1/4" then gently lift the manifold, and slide a new gasket in...you may have to remove two 5mm allen sockets in the back on the intake, along with one 13mm hex bolt under the front #1 intake runner, but it should take less than a few minutes...oh yes, don't forget the 10mm oil dipstick bolt. and the two 10mm bolts attatching the fuel rail to the cam housing...I believe thats it...I believe.

It will be tight, but you should be able to lift the assembly JUST enough to get a new gasket in there. I think.

Take Care!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:12 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

by the way...how in the hell do you blow an intake manifold gasket??? The only thing I can think of is back firing into the manifold....are you over cam'd and out of time?

Take Care!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:03 PM
ast2000
Instructor

My 87 N/A did the same thing. I lossen the bolts and slid the gasket back under and drove it all winter that way. (Tested with WD-40 and it showed no leak). The job changing them was straight forward, but mine where partially stuck down. I had about 140K at the time and all three hoses should have been replaced. I had to replace the hoses over the next few weeks because they broke!

My advice would be to get the hoses and do it once!
Old 09-21-2002, 05:23 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by John Anderson:
<strong>by the way...how in the hell do you blow an intake manifold gasket??? The only thing I can think of is back firing into the manifold....are you over cam'd and out of time?

Take Care!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've got no idea how mine blew, but the PO had tried just about everything - and spent a ton of money - trying to fix the vacuum leak. They never did find the blown intake manifold gasket. I just happened to notice the small bit of gasket hanging out. Who knew! Probably the last thing anyone would check!

Car ran ok when I first bought it, but after awhile it just got worse and worse. Most likely started with a small tear and then finally blew out completely.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:28 PM
icat
Race Car

Something else I just thought of. How can you be sure you don't drop gasket material into the engine if you're "sliding" a new gasket in? My guess is you can't. I'd pull the manifold and replace them all - matter of fact, that's just what I did!

One of those deals where there's never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UUUH - yeah, i'm with Icat on that last post...
Old 09-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Carl Carlson
AutoX

I slid them in on my 86 944T. Getting the intake manifold off was a bear. So, I lifted it and slid them in, and it worked fine.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:47 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

When I had my intake manifold off, I had 3 and a half gaskets stuck to the manifold and half of one stuck to the head. All were baked on there, and it took a lot of time with gasket remover and a metal scraper to get them all off. I ended up going over the entire mating surface of the intake manifold with a whiz wheel to remove the rest of the baked on gaskets and smooth out a few of the gouges I put in there with the scraper. I suppose it would be possible to slip old ones out and new ones in if they weren't baked onto the head/manifold, but if they are stuck you will definitely have to pull the manifold off. Good luck!

Quick Reply: blown intake manifold gasket