Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown problem, cant find an answer :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cutoff at a certain rpm makes it sound like a barn door slide issue. I would pull the cover off at the afm and check it out. If that's it you can fix it. I once had a bad electrical connection at the afm plug that was causing a stutter so check that out too.

Another idea would be to check the clearance at the speed & ref sensors. Or what if one of those sensors is weak? I would not think that's the problem but I would at least check it out.

How about a weak connection in the DME (solder joint).

Just throwing ideas out.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Could it be something like a bad CV joint skipping/slipping while under load? Are there splines back there that could be worn out?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
LP944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peanut
I've re-read this thread and noted the starting dificulty.

I'd also be inclined to check out your fuel injectors. Wouldn't hurt to have them cleaned and their spray pattern checked. Include the cold start injector if there is one fitted.

If you do a fuel pressure check it might highlight a poor delivery problem at high demand but my money is still on the ignition system.

Have you checked the entire vacumn system for leaks ?

I have not checked any of those and will check them as soon as I can. Before the harness replacement I had starting problems but the stuttering and hesitations came about afterwards.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

On my 951 I had two problems that were both solved by putting in new Speed/Reference sensors.
1. Randomly would not start at times from anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour. (no tach bounce when cranking)
2. When pushing hard on the highway, power would cut out momentarily around 5K rpms.
No other symptoms.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
LP944
Racer

Originally Posted by Mello
On my 951 I had two problems that were both solved by putting in new Speed/Reference sensors.
1. Randomly would not start at times from anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour. (no tach bounce when cranking)
2. When pushing hard on the highway, power would cut out momentarily around 5K rpms.
No other symptoms.
Sounds very alike to mine, accept I havnt dared redline it to find out if its momentary, which i dont think it is. I found out today that it lowers with every RPM, 3rd-5700 4th 5500-5400, 5th 5400-5000
Is it a quick and east fix? Did you have hesitation in mid RPM range in low gears?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I didn't have any other symptoms. Reaching the sensors on my 951 was easy enough with a u-joint on a looong extension. I just took out the sensors, not the bracket for them. Don't touch or accidentally loosen the bracket for the sensors or else you have to re-set the depth of the sensors. I just popped out the old sensors, and popped in the new ones without needing to adjust anything.
Actually, one of the two sensors I believe is the culprit, but they're identical so I just replaced both.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
LP944
Racer

I didn't have any other symptoms. Reaching the sensors on my 951 was easy enough with a u-joint on a looong extension. I just took out the sensors, not the bracket for them. Don't touch or accidentally loosen the bracket for the sensors or else you have to re-set the depth of the sensors. I just popped out the old sensors, and popped in the new ones without needing to adjust anything.
Actually, one of the two sensors I believe is the culprit, but they're identical so I just replaced both.
So when there was no power there was no sound?
Thanks for the info
Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

This was 7 years ago... but from what I remember there was no sound. The power just cut out for a second and would come back after I let off of the gas.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 AM
LP944
Racer

This was 7 years ago... but from what I remember there was no sound. The power just cut out for a second and would come back after I let off of the gas.
No mine doesnt do that, it like hits a wall in the power band and stays there till redline
Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I don't understand how it could hit like a wall but keep climbing to redline. Anyway, the problems are very similar. Worth a shot to try to try new sensors. Can always return them.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand how it could hit like a wall but keep climbing to redline. Anyway, the problems are very similar. Worth a shot to try to try new sensors. Can always return them.
I don't believe your sensors are faulty. If they were you're car wouldn't run at all. The ECU needs to receive a 200rpm signal from your crank sensor before it will earth your ignition system and earth your DME relay supplying the fuel pump and fuel injector supply.

if you are going to do this I would strongly advise you to cover all the openings in the clutch bellhousing with gaffa tape first. There are plenty of members that have dropped nuts, sockets and spanners into their bellhousing .!

If the sensors are oxidised and stuck in the housing you are going to end up in a right fix because its such a pita to get at the b$%&* things

I would do the sensor test outlined on Clarkes first and establish beyond a doubt that your sensors are no good first. All they are is a simple magnet ! not much can go wrong with a magnet to be honest
Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

If you're having a misfire at 5500 rpm, it is quite likely that you have a broken valve spring. Unfortunately, you have to remove the camshaft housing to find it. Just push down on each valve and the one that moves with only thumb pressure is the culprit.

If you use either the compressed air or the rope in the cylinder method, you can replace the spring without removing the head.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
LP944
Racer

Originally Posted by 931guru
If you're having a misfire at 5500 rpm, it is quite likely that you have a broken valve spring. Unfortunately, you have to remove the camshaft housing to find it. Just push down on each valve and the one that moves with only thumb pressure is the culprit.

If you use either the compressed air or the rope in the cylinder method, you can replace the spring without removing the head.
Thanks for the info. ITs not too hard to remove the housing is it?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:14 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

do a compression test first ! it may not be conclusive but should indicate a leaky valve if a spring had bust. I'm not convinced myself. I think you would get some symptoms long before the engine reached the red line
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
LP944
Racer

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
My guess is spark scatter from bad S/R sensors or a distributor cap problem.
Could it be the ignition module?

Quick Reply: Unknown problem, cant find an answer :(