Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saratoga Top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 02:35 PM
BradK88951S
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'd be interested in a glass top at a reasonable price.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Matt,

the one with the border that you saw was probably the lexan one. my lexan top had a plastic band around the edge. The paint I'm not too sure about.

The problem is the thickness. The original top is flush with the roofline. the saratoga I have has a thick rubber seal/gasket on the inside/underside. the gasket serves two purposes the first to keep the elements out. the second is to lift the glass enough so that the top of the glass is flush with the roofline. My gasket has has an indentation from the seal attached to the car. I put wedges of cardboard inside the car to tighten the top to the car, which results in a top that sits a little below the roofline, and further increases the indentation. A catch 22.

Also guys, I wouldn't be too concerned with "quality". Basicly all we are talking about is a piece of polarized/tinted tempered glass with some holes drilled in the right places and hardware attached. Not too much room for error there as long as it fits. I used to tighten the screws on rx7's my saratoga top almost every time I washed the car.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:38 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

I would also be interested in one of these. I'd prefer a plastic of some sorts. I'm very worried about flipping my car (if you've ever been run off the road you know all too well how quickly that can happen), and would prefer something "durable", or more durable than glass. That too me is worth an extra couple hundred.

And I would also don't mind having to have it tinted myself to keep costs down for others, as I may want more / less tint than the average joe.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:19 PM
Es3L
Instructor

the shatter guard stuff for windows protected one guy in england during a boxster rollover (911 and porsche world magazine article about it) so installing that stuff on a thick glass top should be a lil better then normal
Old 01-15-2002, 06:16 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

OK I just did some math on the Lexan also contacted the manufacturer of the Lexan and it looks like to produce the Lexan in smaller amounts it will increase the cost. The down side is that it will not reduce the weight more than a couple of pounds. Also there are only two shades of this product well three if you count clear, dark and light greay. Although it is much more durable than glass it will scratch just as easily or the same. There is a coating that I can have applied but it will increase the cost an additional 80 us dollars a top? IS this something that any of you feel would be worth attempting not to mention a cost increase of roughly $150. This would bring the top to about $550 new in the box. Please give me your opinions.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:29 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$550 is becoming too expensive. Start off with the glass, it's a solid foundation to build on and has been done before. See how the glass roofs work out, then later on if they sell well you can experiment with the lighter stuff and perhaps offset the cost if the glass units were a hit. -Trevor
Old 01-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Ross
Advanced

I agree, stay with the glass. The safety glass is pretty durable. The glass top on my Land Rover Discovery has a coating on the inside to diffuse the light and to a lesser extent provide strength.

Ross
Waiting for the 951...
Old 01-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Andrew
Instructor

Saratoga went from Lexan to Glass... Hmmm, i wonder if this was for a reason? Anyway, I'll bite. I'm interested.

-Andrew
Old 01-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Saratoga sold both lexan and glass at the same time. The first time I saw an ad for a Saratoga top was in the back of Road & Track around '74. They were selling clear T-tops for Vettes.

I have a Mazda accessory brochure from 85 somewhere. It shows the clear top as a dealer installed option for the RX7, and I clearly remember Saratoga getting the credit as manufacturer.

If I recall correctly, in '84 I paid about $325 for the lexan top I put on my '83 RX7. I took with me in '84 when I got my '85 RX7. I believe my freind paid about 425-450 for the glass Saratoga top we put on his dad's 84 944. This was in '84. Inflation adjusted that should probably top $1000 today. My salary adjusted, that should top 2000 today. I don't remember if glass cost more than plastic, or if the porsche cost more than the rx7 (top that is).

I just took my top with me to the crapper and weighed myself with and without my top.... My top weighs less then 16, that's SIXTEEN pounds.

BTW racing with other than the factory top is not recommedned - too much flex.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:49 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Several things... First off, to those of you who also have an interest in weight reduction, thank you for speaking up- the unecessary weight of the stock lid has always been one of my biggest gripes, ESPECIALLY since it's up at the highest point of the car. I have to admit that my car is mostly a street car, but removing weight, especially from up top, is always beneficial- it even makes removing and replacing the top easier...

My top weighed 19lbs, and I'm glad to see that someone has finally weighed a glass Saratoga (I've asked many people, but no one has ever thrown one on a bathroom scale for me)- at any rate, as I had said, I thought it was about 3lbs lighter- I called it right on the $$$! The 924 manual factory roofs were about the exact same as the Saratoga (by the way they felt)...

It's hard for me to believe that Lexan would only remove several pounds though- the Lexan hatches remove ~65lbs (advertised), and while the roof isn't as large as the hatch glass, it is still a large piece. Anyway, $550 is starting to get a little on the high side, but please look into it a little further before ruling it out- if it's still in the planning stages, I assume there's still a little room for negotiation(?)...

As for the safety issue of rolling w/a glass top, I had never really thought of that, but it may be another selling point for Lexan...

Also, I'm not too sure about the factory top adding any real rigidity to the chassis- I've seen where some people race their 944's w/the tops removed- Ahmet autocrosses his that way, for instance, and he is fairly intense w/his car
Old 01-16-2002, 10:22 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Robby,
It's more an issue of brittleness, the roof area flexes like a license plate would if you twist it. Glass won't twist like the original top.

The problem with lexan is that while it is bulletproof, it scratches very easily. For most people glass is a better alternative.

Also guys remember however light the roof is, it still picks up the slightest breeze like a sail when being installed & removed. Installing and removing the top on a regular basis is a real PIA. With my clear top on, I have little desire to take the top off.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I love the clear top (if it's the QUALITY one without the big black border), but I have no problem taking my top out (not glass). I have it down to a science, and it only takes about 15 seconds to pop it out and stick it in the hatch or garage.

So what's the deal Mr. Saratoga Top man? Is this a bulk order or something? I'd love to get in on it if the price was right. WORD OF ADVICE: If you put a glass top on your 944, then list it to sell, TAKE IT OUT when you show the car.

-Matt
Old 01-16-2002, 02:10 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Thumbs down

I hate to take the negative side of things, but I want to warn you, the Saratoga glass top for the 944 isn't exactly a perfect piece. I have one and use it occasionally, but it lets in a TREMENDIOUS amount of wind noise at speeds. It lifts a huge amount at high speeds. I could slide a PEN through the gap that opens above 130MPH. Sure, it's lighter, and sure, it increases headroom alot, and SURE, it brightens up the cockpit nicely..BUT it has structural issues that performance people wouln't tolerate. For sunday drivers, it's probably fine. But remember, if you spend 4 or 500 beans, don't expect perfection, because the Saratoga's aren't that great. Maybe the new manufacturer will do some improvements, I don't know. I got mine for $200 5 years ago, I feel sorry for the guy who spent a grand on E-bay.

NO, it's not for sale..
Old 01-16-2002, 02:23 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thumbs up

Hello All,

Matt Olde, to be direct and to the point I need to clarify fist, for legal reasons that I am not a Saratoga employee nor am I representing the company in any way. I am only using a know name and likeness of top for purposes of clarification to all of you. I wanted to make it clear to all that read the post that the quality and type of top that I have made reference to here is of the same workmanship and quality of the top Produced by Saratoga but is not the actual Saratoga top. It is easer to use an example of what we all no to be a great product for reference. Now to answer your question, this product I.E moon-roof to be named at a later date, is something that “yes” would be produced in a lager order from the individual parts manufactures. They would be sold individually and not in bulk. In any case the plans are still in the beginning stages and details will have to be worked out before the product becomes a reality. From all of your posts here it is clear to me the quality, warranty, colors, price and types of material used are important. This information is valuable to the planning process and is why I have requested public feedback on the endeavor to deliver this product to all enthusiasts alike, “Including myself”. So with that said I am working on this very diligently and hope to have more concrete information for all in the very near future. The process, I am finding is allot slower than I would like it to be and requires a substantial investment up front on my part. Please understand that as soon as there is information to be distributed you all will be the fist to know about it. One of my hopes is to have something for us all by this summer. However, this depends on many factors coming together all at once. Hang in there and keep an eye out for good news.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming I am closely paying attention.

Old 01-16-2002, 02:38 PM
udamann
Intermediate

Count me in!! A little extra never hurt anyone. As long as the quality, price, blah, blah is right......

-Steve

Quick Reply: Saratoga Top?