Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushed coolant - lost power, weird exhaust note??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Flushed coolant - lost power, weird exhaust note??

I'm pretty confused.

I just flushed the coolant on my 84 the other day, trying to get it to run cooler. After filling it back up and bleeding it a couple times, I go drive it around and something is seriously off. There has been a significant power loss, and the exhaust note is decidedly... bumpy. Like, it sounds like "brrmmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb" - but only at higher RPMs, lower it sounds normal.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

there are probably two seperate issues here . Overheating and rough running .
I would suggest you start by checking anything that you may have disturbed under the bonnet when flushing your system. I'd check all my vacumn lines and connections first . There was an excellent vacumn system schematic posted here last week by a member.
Do you have any white smoke when you start the engine from cold ? possible head gasket.
Can you hear any gurling sounds inside the cab ? possible airlock in coolant system.
Did you remember to run the engine up to temperature with the heater on when bleeding the coolant system ?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I figured it was just coincidence, I'm just kinda confused.

No white smoke from the exhaust, I did get it up to temp idling before bleeding. I'll have to look at all the vacuum lines, I'm sure there are some pretty old ones.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Flushed coolant - lost power, weird exhaust note??