Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 need rings - would you fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 AM
gt1scca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
The chassis is not very valuable at that mileage except to a racer or maybe a V8 swap enthusiast...
[ Narrator: "And he quietly paces to and fro, patiently awaiting Arash's decision."]

Old 04-17-2010, 09:20 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

it sounds a lot like you have your mind made up about this already, so post it in classifieds or something, post pics - and see what offers you get?

it should still sell, you should still be able to get a good coin for it even as a whole - parting might get a little too long etc

or if you are getting another 968 - keep this car as a spare/donor car, keep the parts that you think you might need, and get rid of the rest; you could even keep this engine and "work" on it ...

all else fails, if you want to part it, I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in mirrors/gear box/interior etc etc etc
Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell. if you have rebuilt the engine before sounds like you need to replace the rings and bottom end. Keep it. Rebuild it and enjoy
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gt1scca
[ Narrator: "And he quietly paces to and fro, patiently awaiting Arash's decision."]

Who, me? I'm not doing a v8 swap, too expensive! I want a 951 motor in a 968, but not this 968. This one's color just doesn't work for me.

Originally Posted by roman944
it sounds a lot like you have your mind made up about this already, so post it in classifieds or something, post pics - and see what offers you get?

it should still sell, you should still be able to get a good coin for it even as a whole - parting might get a little too long etc

or if you are getting another 968 - keep this car as a spare/donor car, keep the parts that you think you might need, and get rid of the rest; you could even keep this engine and "work" on it ...

all else fails, if you want to part it, I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in mirrors/gear box/interior etc etc etc
Right now my decision is to sell it, I'm just not sure whether to rebuild it first. I'm just cleaning it up and fixing a few minor issues before I post it up.

Originally Posted by carlege
hell. if you have rebuilt the engine before sounds like you need to replace the rings and bottom end. Keep it. Rebuild it and enjoy
I rebuilt the engine in my other 968 a couple of years ago, and it runs fantastic. This 968's motor has only had top end work, bottom end is original 241k miles.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A lot of people are saying to fix it and keep it. I want to sell it and replace it with another 968 for the sole reason that I don't like this one's color! I know it seems silly, but what can I say, a car's color is the most important feature to me.

I know nobody has to believe me but the first and second owners were both women who drove this car as a commuter on the freeway. There's been no chassis flex or high revving until I bought it and took it to Laguna Seca once. I think the only thing worn out on the car from 2 women and 235k miles was the clutch/PP/FW, and those were all replaced recently.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 AM
gt1scca
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Who, me? I'm not doing a v8 swap, too expensive!

No, no...I was hinting to sell.
As is, to a crazed "swapster". No $ invested on your part.

Suggested as an option for keeping it "alive"...no personal gain implied.
Sorry if I was misinterpreted.

Paint it? Yes. P-motor? No.
Merely an .02 (or less).

Carry on, sir.
Greg
Old 04-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

sell it as is. the car is a candidate for a motor swap. there are trashed 968s with low mileage motors. someone is willing to do that for the right price. get out and move on.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Greg, no worries, thanks for the advice. So you think I should just paint it? I'm reluctant because a) it will always have metallic blue engine bay, etc instead of say black, and b) someone out there might want this color... I don't know.

Tom, thanks, I guess I have nothing to lose by listing it as is and seeing what happens.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, I don't think I've ever gotten my money out of any improvement or fix I've made just for selling a car; even a nice stereo is just as likely to be ripped out by the new owner as not. A car that was in primer "MIGHT" be worth painting, just a cheap job that could be sanded off easily.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Donate it to me, I'll throw my LT1 in there instead of my 88 NA.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 AM
gt1scca
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Greg, no worries, thanks for the advice. So you think I should just paint it? I'm reluctant because a) it will always have metallic blue engine bay, etc instead of say black, and b) someone out there might want this color... I don't know.
Well, if you want to keep the 968, a decent (i.e. done properly) color change job is not cheap. Under hood, door jambs, windows and trim removed...A nice job gets quite involved. To have it painted will only be worthwhile if you are otherwise happy with the rest of the car. You would still need to address the engine issue if you kept it. I see a money pit opening up, but - nice 968s are somewhat scarce these days.

Someone looking at converting the car may or may not want it a different color, and a buyer with the intention of a full-blown conversion would partially disassemble it anyway. That would be my only reason for the "paint it" comment - that, and personal preferences.

In the end, it falls back on what you want. A 968 built the way you want it, regardless of investment, or buying something closer to meeting your personal preference. For example: I wanted a V8 powered 951. I planned for this when I purchased a 1986 Turbo minus the blown T engine. I'll eventually paint and detail the entire car, due to it sitting exposed for ~14 years (the clearcoat is starting to separate). Suspension, brakes, and eventually interior, will all be upgraded as part of the conversion progress. My point is, I will have what I expect when completed. A like-new, V8 powered 951. Track and street capable, built to my specifications, the color I want, and I will still be under market value as far as overall investment goes.

It's all about you, Arash. If you don't mind the investment, make this 968 what you want. If you're uneasy about dumping money in something you may not be happy with, sell it as is, swap in a 2.5LT, or fix it to sell. Then go shopping...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

my engine is pretty stout, doesn't burn a drop of Mobil 1 superoil, and it's for sale.

you can pull my engine and ship my car to texas performance.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM powerplant. There's a V6 swap kit coming soon.
Which area do you live in? If there is high Sulfur content in the gas for your region, it deteriorates the Nikasil lining of these Porsche blocks. Same goes for High S oil too.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I love 8 month old threads.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: 968 need rings - would you fix it?