Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Valve Cover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:26 AM
DustinWayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S2 Valve Cover Leak

Hey everyone,
I recently replaced the cam chain tensioner pad onmy S2, after I replaced the gaskets and torqued all of the valve cover bolts to 7lbs i noticed an oil leak in the morning that leaked onto the headers, but not in the afternoon. The previous gasket was glued in the corners, should I do this with the new gasket or not? I also noticed that the oil level is a little bit high, could that be making the oil leak due to too much oil? Believe me, all of your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for everything!

Thanks,
~Dustin Wayman
Old 09-04-2002, 03:53 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't done this myself yet but I remember Jim968 using some sort of sealant on the corners of his valve cover gasket to keep oil from leaking out. You can try searching past topics or maybe he'll chime in with the type of sealant he used. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:09 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dustin, When I inspected the chain tensioner on my 968 a year or so ago, I noticed that the factory had used some kind of non-hardening white sealant, just at the corners of the head where the cam cover sits. I wiped it off and replaced it with blue silicone RTV (what I had handy). I re-used the old gasket. So far, no sign of leaks. The original gasket did not appear to be glued to the cam cover, except where this sealant had oozed up into the gasket groove.

Put a little dab ( a precise Southern engineering unit) in each corner of the sealing surface of the head, then fingertip spread it into a thin layer (_maybe_ 1/32" thick, or less) in both directions, extending out about 3/4" to 1" from the corner each way, along the gasket seating surface. Then reassemble the cam cover.

BTW, G96, that's a helluva fine memory you've got there... Be careful, or it'll fill up before you're an old fart like me...

Jim, "Over the hill? What hill? I don't remember a hill..."

Quick Reply: S2 Valve Cover Leak