Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002 | 08:34 PM
Peter K.
Racer

Post Engine Issue

My engine has been acting odd lately. When getting into the throttle sometimes the engine will stumble a bit then catch.
Also when the rpms retun from gunning the motor the rpms sometimes drop pretty low, around 7-800.
Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2002 | 08:39 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Remove, clean and adjust the throttle body switches.
Old 09-03-2002 | 08:48 PM
Deepice
Pro

TPS gets my vote...you can check it with a volt meter
Old 09-05-2002 | 10:45 AM
Peter K.
Racer

How much and how hard is it to just replace the sensor?
Old 09-05-2002 | 10:59 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

50 bucks from Paragon. This price seems alittle higher that when I replaced mine last month. I could be mistaken though, so definately look around.

The replacement is a fairly easy process. You start by removing the airbox. Then remove the AFM and intake J-boot as one piece. There are two addition small hoses in the bottom of the J-boot that are a pain to remove, but make sure you get them. The other side of the J-boot so slip off the throttle body with alittle muscle. Then you need to remove the throttle body from the intake. It's held on by 4 allen bolts. The inner ones are quite a pain to get to. A screw driver with the right attachment is highly recommened. A standard allen wrench is not. If you only have allen wrenchs, one trick i found was to remove all three of the easily accessable ones(Top left, top right, and bottom right.) loosen the lower left one as much as possible and then rotate the throttle body clockwise. This will give you more room to work. Once you pull the throttle body off, the TPS is held on the bottom by two screws.

At this point i stuck the throttle body in the sink cause there was a layer of grime on it. I cleaned it up as much as possible with just some soap and water.

When placing it back on, you need to make sure its aligned properly. The TPS is keyed to the shaft on the throttle body, so it's not really hard. One thing to make sure of is then the throttle is fully closed, it engages the switch on the TPS. You'll hear alittle click. When throttle is opened, you'll hear the switch disengage(another small click). Once you get this right, put everything back together and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Engine Issue