Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality of parts--question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Shameue
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of parts--question

Hi everyone,
I'm new to working on a Porsche 944 (or really any car, for that matter), but I'm in the middle of replacing timing belts, rollers, front engine seals, and motor mounts. It's going OK, but I've a few questions about parts. I ordered motor mounts form a company on ebay, Deutsche Parts USA. One of the mounts seems to be coming unglued over the lip and has a small tear near the rim where the rubber goes over. I'm talking to the company about it, but I'm wondering if I should have ordered a better make of mount to begin with, if these things matter.

Similarly, I've also ordered timing belt and rollers from another company, the import exports, and they use CRP parts. The tensioners--idlers don't spin freely (like the ones I'm replacing do, even the one with the bad bearings), they are slightly stiff. Is this normal for new rollers or are they supposed to wheel completely freely? Also, the tensioners etc., are about half the weight of the original porsche parts, which has me concerned too.

Now, I've obviously gone for these parts because they were a little less expensive than some others, and I'm fine if they're not quite as good, but still work fine and last a while. But I don't want to do all this labor to put faulty parts on my car either. Could some of you give me some advice about what I should consider? Are CRP parts worthwhile? What do I need to know about buying porsche parts?

Thanks very much

James
Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with people who are more known in the 944 community. Thats what I would do.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Defa...p?Redirected=Y
http://www.pelicanparts.com/index.htm
http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=LR
http://944online.com/
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW: New rollers should NOT spin freely.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM
krystar
Drifting

the 4 that josh listed above are tier 1 parts suppliers.

tier 2 parts suppliers that are still ok quality in my car are from
www.dcauto.com (porsche specialty)
www.rockauto.com (general auto parts)
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Shameue
AutoX

OK, just for further information, CRP Industries, make Conitech parts, which many of the good websites you've mentioned also list as their cheaper parts. And the maker of the mounts is Hamburg-Technic.

Thanks for the information about the rollers; that puts me more at ease.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ah, thumbs up to Lindsey Racing and Rennbay

Dave and Travis are GREAT guys to talk to if you have any questions!

going to be ordering headgaskets form 944online, will see how that goes

dealt with Paragon a couple of times before - good guys too
Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Yeah I forgot Rennbay. Sorry travis lol
Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

If you end up returning those mounts, look for "Rein" brand motor mounts. They are cheaper than OEM but more expensive than the truly cheap ones. From my visual inspection, they are virtually identical to OEM and seem very well made (hey, at least they are German!).
Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

You should be buying OEM for all of the above parts. Non-OEM engine mounts typically fail within 1 year -- historically it's been a total waste of money to use anything but OEM (lemforder, etc.). I don't know whether you'll have issues with the timing belt and rollers you've selected or not, but saving money here is nuts. Any failure will leave you stranded and bend the valves (at best). You can get away with using cheaper parts or going used in many places, but you're making a big mistake by using offbrand junk from ebay for the parts that you've listed. Seriously -- don't do it.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Shameue
AutoX

OK Lads, I hear the warning! And I suspect y'all are right on the mounts, but I've only been able to get a replacement. So I'm putting them in; and I guess in a year or so I'll do it again--jeez! But the timing kit is from CRP which makes Conitech, which, in all fairness, Pelican parts uses and is OEM certified. But it still weighs half of what the original does--more plastic and less steel, I guess. My question is when you all replace these parts, do they always weigh much less?
Thanks for everyone's input and tips!
James
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
BSG
4th Gear

All the rollers in CRP kit are made by INA-its OEM Porsche supplier
Old 04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have gotten a few things from deutchparts. I can't complain. I use cheap motor mounts. Like hood struts, the cheap ones last a year and the best ones last 2 years. OEM engine parts are an absolute though. I do have one of the cheap "new" water pumps from Deutchparts and am happy so far(3K miles)but was very sceptical to begin with - I was not sure it would last this long. I like the contitech belts/rollers - they should be a little tight to begin with. Search for info and take your time on the belts, it's no magic, but there are things to keep sraight.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 PM
BSG
4th Gear

And pay attention for BS belt tension-becouse CRPs belt more wider than original one. Clarks garage recommends set 3,5 tension for it( 2,7 for old style BS Belts)
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

For that it's worth I have not had a problem with the non Porsche engine mounts available for 1/3 the cost. granted I have not had a set installed for 5 years and 50K miles but they seem OK to me.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Quality of parts--question