Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna wire to windshield, how is it routed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Antenna wire to windshield, how is it routed?

Finally decide to go about fixing this issue on my car. The antenna connector that plugs into the back of the head unit broke off (gorilla probably instlalled the last radio). I thought about splicing a new one on, but the wire is shielded so not going to happen. Id like to simply replace the entire wire to the antenna embedded in the windshield, but was wondering how the original cable is routed under the dash. Also wondering if replacing it is really going to be as simple as changing the cable with a generic, or am i going to need some wacky 'metric antenna cable' to connect it to the wire hanging off the windshield .

I had a nice external glass mounted antenna i was going to do on this car, but figure i have the glass embedded one.. minus well just fix it.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, You know the antenna wire has a built in amplifier up behind the glove box prior to hooking up the antenna wires in the glass. Why not just buy a good one off ebay to install. Disconnect the battery and use an electricians fish tape attached to the broken end and pull it through to where the amplifier is located. All you have to do then is attach the end to the new antenna plug and slowly pull it to the radio.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

it wasnt me i swear. how is the connection by the windshield corner? I remember the safelite guy had a hard time with the wire on one of the windshields replaced around that time, not sure which car it was, or if it was red S2 #2. 3 red 951 bodys and things get confusing when you reach my age.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom, up by the windshield is fine. I just looked at some picture of the FM booster and the antenna wire goes right through the box. I need to take one apart to see how easy / hard it is going to be to hook up a new wire.. or just pick up a used one off eBay.

BTW, finally found a buyer for those seats, Craigslist to the rescue!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, I might have one in my 86 parts car and its your if you want it. There is a plug that is on the passenger side of the windshield but I can't say what size it is.

Quick Reply: Antenna wire to windshield, how is it routed?