Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Front Seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003 | 10:33 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Replacing Front Seals

Time to do my front seals (as well as the belts, rollers & water pump)

Any advice on removing and repalcing the seals? Any "gotch ya's" to look for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2003 | 11:34 AM
sm
Drifting

See my post re: the belt and seals job for info on the crank key...
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:45 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Michael,

The balance shaft seals and cam seals are easy to do since they are part of the aluminum carrier that needs to be removed to replace the "bushings" behind the plate. When the aluminum plate is out, just punch the seal out with a large socket.

The crankshaft seal is more difficult since it has to be removed in the vehicle. I drilled a hole in the seal with a Dremel tool and then inserted a screw (think it was a drywall screw with coarse threads) into the hole. Yanked on the screw and the seal was out in less than 30 seconds! It's a trick I use on all seal jobs I've done in the past after trying other methods.

I also remember removing the woodruf keys was a pain in the ***, in particular the crankshaft key. I had to drill it out piece by piece.

Not exactly fun stuff, but worth it in the end.

BTW, check your seal sizes against what comes out of the car. I put in a crank seal that was supposed to be the correct one but was about .5mm larger than what came out ... thought it was a rev on the part ... now I'm leaking oil from that area. Be careful when you buy the seals, especially from mail order places.

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Seals