Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a run, g-forces a-plenty...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What a run, g-forces a-plenty...

Last night I closed the restaurant @ about 2:30am and decided on my way home that the car felt too good to just park it in the garage. It was a clear cool night with barely any cars on the road, so I decided to take the thing for a good boot on the highway (eastbound Grandview highway for you Vancouverites). I also felt confident in the dumb dryer machine hose I put in the left front to direct cold air to my exposed filter (actually, the car did run a bit cooler!). So I reached the crest of the hill (where Wendy's is) and proceed to the highway onramp with this buzzing civic on my tail. Once I hit the ramp (yes! downhill!! j/k) I gunned her for all she had and kept going for a mile or so and then did the speed limit for about half a minute or so for the civic to catch up. I decided I had enough fun atomizing him so I let him go. Anyway, I ended up taking an exit after Burnaby, pulled a U turn and got on a high way entrance. This was crazy though, it was one of those banked 3/4 circle deals with 50 km/h signs all over it. I did the thing at well over 60mph, and I was pushing against the door with my left knee and holding on to the tranny tunnel with my right hand (was sitting too far back, the seat would not support me). What really impressed me was that when I got on the highway I was already going much faster than the 2 or 3 cars in sight! I took it easy for the next few minutes untill I reached a tunnel (right before second narrows bridge), in which I lowered the windows (car sounded like a racing machine) and floored it. I passed a car while doing about 120 mph (car looked like it was gunning it in reverse) and I remember wondering why the car's top speed is only in the 130mph range. Anyway, I was glued to my seat (seatback upright position this time) and took the first exit on to McGill street (50km/h warnings, esses before the actual biiig curve). I took the esses at over 60 mph and the curve at about 80mph and I tell ya, the car had PLENTY more stick to her, I think I could have pushed waaaay harder. What was really rewarding was the fact that I was actually getting moved quite forcefully due to the g-s induced by my maneuvering, and the fact that I kept her in the power band the whole trip and would actually bump my head against the seat when I hammered it (not a scrawny guy, I bench over 240lbs free weights if ya catch my drift). I kept going like a bat out of hell on to McGill street untill I reached Nanaimo and took that left hand sweeper at some insane rate. Note I only did this because there were barely any cars or people on the road. I concluded that the car with its current suspension setup ( koni yellows front and rear, both turned half way to stiffest, stock t-bars, progressive weltmeister 250# springs and a slightly aggressive alignment (bit more camber up front) can handle massive cornering speeds, and that if kept in the power band, the n/a is a very fast car. I have no clue why the car feels so fast when its rolling as opposed to acceleration from full stop. Anyway, top end is very competent, and Porsche knew what they were doing because apart from some straight sections of highway, I never really needed much more power (S2 power would have been perfect). Now if we could only get that 0-60 stuff to work....What a fun car.....
Old 08-31-2002, 06:06 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like fun
Old 08-31-2002, 06:25 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds awesome! Also sounds like the same suspension setup I have on my S2. Koni Yellows, set nearly full stiff though, 250# welt springs, weltmeister strut tower brace, stock T-bars. I added the 968 m030 sway bars and the car has WAY more hold on the road than I have ability to stay in the seat trying to drive it. I'll have to wait until I get the 6 pt harnesses installed before I'll really know how hard she can go when I won't have to fight the side G's as much!...amazing cars...

Quick Reply: What a run, g-forces a-plenty...