Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 in PCA prepared class???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Question 951 in PCA prepared class???

I was looking over my 951 tonight and just running things through my mind. The paint is in need of some help and there are a more than a few door dings. The interior has a cracked dash, the carpet is thin and the seats are being tossed in favor of some sparcos.

Anyway, so what I'm thinking is this, make the car into a PCA racer, either stock or prepared class. I am leaning towards prepared because i already have the MAF and that throw me into prepared.

My real question is, should I try to move the car up to prepared or should i try to get the car back to stock and run in there?

Anyone here have experience with this?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered what (who) the competition would be in either class?
Old 09-16-2002, 11:53 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Who I'll be running against is not my main concern, sure I would like to be competitive, but I don't have to win, but I just want to figure out where the best place to put my car will be.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:26 AM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

If I remember, at least here in Texas there are very few people running in the prepared class (I guess a prepared 951 puts you in the same class as a Stock E?). Most everyone runs either stock or GT, and F stock seems to have one of the largest # of entries, which is nice. But with that said, since you already have the MAF, at least at first running Prepared probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. Eventually, you'd still probably want to run in a stock class were there was more competition to allow you to measure up against "similarly" set-up and engined cars.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:28 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I for one wouldn't want to be in a higher class with just one modification... I'd turn it back to near stock with allowed mods such as shocks, and sway bars(is there a rulebook or something online I'm interested myself). +It's not like you can't cheat in stock class... Chips, gutted cat, a cat back is allowed I would think, some old washers in the wastegate, etc. There's a new chip in the works to raise the boost using factory everything to open the wastegate later, etc.
Ahmet
Old 09-17-2002, 10:38 AM
DustinWayman
Instructor

Ian, WIth my 914 we did absolutely what you dont want to do, go nutz with it and switching some parts that will bump you up. Once you do that, you will find yourself spending more time and money just trying to get the car where it was before! We started out as a stock class and now I am in a GT5 class and we will get hammared! just because of some stupid things that would have easilly been answered by a PCA or SCCA Scruteneer (sp*) Grab some rule books and have fun!

~Dust
Old 09-17-2002, 10:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok,
PCA F-Stock is really where you want to be.
Changing out the MAF and chip are easy and you really want to be in stock class even vs a prepared class.

Here is link to PCA Club Racing rules.

<a href="http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/docs/forms.htm" target="_blank">PCA Club Racing Rules</a>

I do not think they allow chips on the turbos even in a stock class.
Pretty much all you can do is suspension work.
This will be plenty fast enough.

At my local track My best time in my Stock 88 Turbo S was 1:19 on street tires a few years back. At the last PCA club race the F stock (my car would have been in E Stock since it was an S) cars were running 1:12 - 1:14 in qualifying. Pole was 86 951 with well sorted suspension & Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

Point is these guys are very fast without chips or MAF and you and your car will probably have a hard enough time staying with these guys. No need to to go E where the cars get even faster.

You can always go to E as prepared move later anyway.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ian:
<strong>Who I'll be running against is not my main concern, sure I would like to be competitive, but I don't have to win, but I just want to figure out where the best place to put my car will be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did not see this in your sig earlier

You have K27/6 Turbo???
Stock was K26/6 if you have K27 that would push you to GT3 where the rules are simply based on min-max engine displacement.
These guys ran 1:09 - 1:11 at the same race.
GT racing is for the big boys and big dollars.
Read 375hp 2.5L motor & 2300lbs carbon fiber wide body specials.

This is not to say that you can run in GT3 or even have fun - Heck the slowest GT3 ran 1:21 out there. Just don't expect to even come close to having a thought of being competitive if anybody else shows up in that class.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
M758 is correct. The MAF would move you up to a prepared class, the turbo will send you all the way to GT3 class. Without spending some serious cash... the car would not be competitive and would be hopelessly outclassed. Not being competitive is one thing, but constantly getting passed by others is another. May as well attach some cones to the front and rear of your car as it would just be a rolling chicane.

I would replace the turbo with the stock unit to at least get you back to a prepared class car. Perhaps even consider the stock AFM. F stock is very competitive and has some excellent drivers. The most important thing is to have fun and be safe.

You can download the rules for PCA racing at their website.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

I'm pretty sure the MAF sends you up *two* classes to D which isn't really worth it.

One other idea that I've toyed with is making a Turbo Cup spec'd car which is in D class. The big difference being power and weight. You get to up the boost to around 1.0 bar and I think it has a slightly different turbo from the turbo S (group A hybrid?). Anyways that would get you around 290hp.

On the weight side you get to take off over 200 lbs. (2770?). I think the Turbo Cup cars were really 2550# so I'm not sure where the PCA number came from.

There are other changes to be Cup car like S4 brakes ...

That would keep you out of GT which is for race cars.

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 09-17-2002, 01:00 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Brian,

I like the idea of going up to the cup car specs, that would be interesting.

I guess the logical thing to do would be to move it into the stock class, even thought that means taking away hp from my car, I know that they are plenty fast enough in stock trim.

Time will tell where my 951 project goes...

Quick Reply: 951 in PCA prepared class???