Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay clicking from passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't worry with that now, the n/a is currently out of commission until I replace the sheared balance shaft belt ( and rollers and tensioners and cambelt...the list goes on and on....) Come to think of it, it's out of commission until I get my commission...check that is!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:03 AM
gordyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I had a look at mine last night. I removed the glovebox to get a better look and then it's easy to see the 2 solenoids (I took a picture it anyone really wants it but it's pretty self-evident once you get this far). Starting up the car and playing with the heat controls, I found that the clicking was coming from the lower of the 2 solenoids. There's 2 vacuum hoses attached to it, as well as 2 wires that are bundled together. It seemed that the wires were hard wired though, I couldn't see any connectors that I could undo or pull off. So.... back for a bit more research.

What I found was an explanation that said that the solenoid isn't the problem, it's a symptom of the problem. The real problem is poor connections on the climate control center, where your dials are for fan speed and the sliders to control air flow. I took that off (take off the rotary *****, a panel cover comes off easy, then there's 4 phillips screws to undo). There's two bundled wires that have big plugs with 12 contacts. I pryed them off and cleaned all contacts with a bit of sandpaper and a small screwdrive in the holes (if you do this you'll see what I mean). Then I connected everything back up.

Now one of my sliders for air control works that never appeared to do anything before and the clicking only happens when I first start the car. I haven't been in it much since I did this work but I think it fixed it.

I probably haven't explained it very well here so feel free to ask questions.

Quick Reply: Relay clicking from passenger side?