Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-stitching my 1987 951 seats question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010 | 08:49 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Question Re-stitching my 1987 951 seats question

Hey all,

did anybody ever re-stitched there leather seats?
I bought some good looking seats for 951, the leather is great, but needs new stitching as some place.

I am looking at how the leather is attach under the seat, in a bad working area (my basement with not a lot of light), and are they hooks holding the leather to the frame or are these just twisted wires?

I am so afraid to ***k anything up, I know how new seats can be expensive.

My question is, do I need to ''cut'' the metal hooks or wires in order to remove the leather, or is there an easier way.

thanks
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:00 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

If you are just doing the bottom,
remove the seat from the car and place on clean table
Remove the seat rails with same metric hex
Remove all wire pig nose fasteners. Try to remember where they attached on the springs
The seat cover will slip off easily.

I sewed the side seams with WalMart upholstery thread ---I doubled up the thread to have 4 strands/1needle.

I hand sewed the lap material--in my case script cloth, to the OEM German vinly side booster material about 5/16 inch in from the torn seam.

Has not torn in 9 months of DD

GL
John_AZ
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:05 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Yes there are sharp triangular hooks that hold the leather to the bottom of the frame. There are also Hogrings that hold the center of the seat leather to the frame. Depending on where you need to restitch makes a difference wether you have to remove any/some of the hogrings. If you do then you will need new hogrings and pliers which are very inexpensive on Ebay. Remove as little as possible to get the proper job done. If it's the front stitched spot then just remove the front and sides from the triangular sharp deals and fold up just the front. Try using some seam tape on the underside and sew through the tape and the leather. GL
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:25 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

From: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hello, If you have to remove the whole seat top or bottom and they are leather go ahead and use Lexol Leather Conditioner on the under side to make the leather soft again prior to sewing. Take the seat to a well lighted area for sewing. The dining room table is great and if your lucky your wife will take over sewing just to get it out of the dining room. Deep thinking here.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-08-2010 | 07:54 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

thanks guys, I have all the info I need.
It's the bottom seat part that need to be fix (all four corners).
I'll take some pictures, maybe it would a great post for future references
thanks again
Eric

Quick Reply: Re-stitching my 1987 951 seats question