Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B'day present ordered. "There Will be Fiberglass."

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 12:13 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Yea I have seen my share of unsafe cars but it has allowed for some very neat things.
Old 03-08-2010 | 01:07 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

I doubt anyone's life has been saved by 5mph bumpers.
Yep, that's an apples to apples comparison..

I was thinking more along the lines of that mystery damage that happens in parking lots. A guy bumped me on the street at a stop sign once because he wasn't paying attention. Thanks to stock bumpers I had to replace a shock because the bitch did a hit and run -- but I didn't have to straighten sheet metal and slop on Bondo.

Regardless, this qualifies as ricing your car.
Old 03-08-2010 | 02:28 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Yep, that's an apples to apples comparison..

I was thinking more along the lines of that mystery damage that happens in parking lots. A guy bumped me on the street at a stop sign once because he wasn't paying attention. Thanks to stock bumpers I had to replace a shock because the bitch did a hit and run -- but I didn't have to straighten sheet metal and slop on Bondo.

Regardless, this qualifies as ricing your car.
No doubt I am giving up that margin of "safety" by swapping 10 lbs of fiberglass for 50 lbs of aluminum.
Old 03-08-2010 | 05:24 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Like put on fiberglass bumpers..

Classic!

I had the same issue with my Street driven SC. I found a lower front valance that worked with the stock bumper and in the end I kept the stock rear bumper.. Good thing.. On the street, coming home from an AX, a buick rear ended my 911. The bumpers saved a whole lot more damage.

That said, those bumper look pretty clean. Will you body color them or leave them black?
Old 03-08-2010 | 05:51 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by racer
Classic!

I had the same issue with my Street driven SC. I found a lower front valance that worked with the stock bumper and in the end I kept the stock rear bumper.. Good thing.. On the street, coming home from an AX, a buick rear ended my 911. The bumpers saved a whole lot more damage.

That said, those bumper look pretty clean. Will you body color them or leave them black?
I intend to paint them. The rear one absolutely. The front one, I'll see what it looks like in black, but probably paint it. Rattlecan masterpiece.

Quick Reply: B'day present ordered. "There Will be Fiberglass."