Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Window Regulator Track (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 05:58 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Driver Side Window Regulator Track (long)

Here's my latest endevour.

I'm going to fix that loose/funky window. Got another regulator assembly with the little wheels in much better shape than the ones on there now.

Got the window and reg unit out. Cleaning everything up. Here's the question?

Along the bottom of the window glass is a piece of rubber that goes into the channel/track on the reg. This rubber was, at one time glued onto the window and also into the channel/track. It has dried out and come unglued. (this is part of what caused the window to drop) So I need to re-glue this thing back together. I go by a very reputable auto glass company here to ask how and what they would use to glue this. Silicon seal ?, JB Weld ?, epoxy ?....

Upon talking to them, they say "don't use the rubber piece", "just glue the window straight into the channel/track" They said the rubber stuff was an "old" way of mounting the windows and it is not used anymore. They recomended stuff called "epoxy cup"??

I don't know, seems to me you need the rubber there for 1) cushioning 2) window would not come up high enough without it filling a little part of the channel/track bottom.

I've done a search and see a couple of folks have replaced windows due to thefts and such, but no one mentioned not reusing the rubber or what they used to adhear it all back together.

On kinda a side note. This is the start of a total interior redo. Just had not planned to start yet, till window dropped. I deadened the door with spray-on undercoating and then added Armaflex insulation tape. Very lightweight, with good dampening properties. I will be covering the inside face of the doors with FatMat ( where the moisture shield plastic had been). Also putting in new speakers, found some Bazooka (model EL 460C) 4x6 plate 2 ways, they JUST fit the depth, after removing a honking piece of plastic from the magnet. Then to finish off the doors, new door panels. Have 2 sport seats being re-upholstered, new carpet, a Jensen Cd player and a working clock to go in as well.

I will get some pictures up soon.

Also will be selling the regular seats. They are tan, no rips tears or anything. Just the recline ***** will not stay on(but they do recline)75.00 each + shipping.

Sorry about the long post, if anybody has ideas or experience with this window issue please let me know
Old 04-03-2003, 12:47 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Hello?????

Bueller?....Bueller?....Bueller....
Old 04-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would have to assume the rubber was there to make a press-fit between the window and the metal. I also feel that the window regulator has enough extra movement to push the window up the small amount you are losing from not having the rubber in there. If the glass guys are using a certain epoxy successfully then I would say that is the way to go. They cant afford to have every one of their glass repairs come back on them so what they do must be working for them. Dont know about the cushioning although I would say the old press-fit of the rubber was so tight there probably wasnt any movement there anyway. Any cushioning would be at the window slides/seals.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Window Regulator Track (long)