Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle stabilizer removal with no A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:19 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Idle stabilizer removal with no A/C?

I want to remove the idle stabilzer valve, the A/C is gone. It should still be ok or at least adjustable for idle. Idle quality is not really a concern, as long as it will idle by it's self. So, the ISV can be removed and still run decent? TIA
Old 04-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno about that - the ISV does more than just bump the idle when the AC comes on. It raises the idle when the engine is cold, and I believe does a couple other small air metering things in certain driving scenarios. My '88 Euro 944 has no A/C, but has an ISV.

I'm not even sure if the car can idle without it since it allows a significant amount of air past the throttle plate. Therefore, the "idle speed adjuster" may not have enough adjustment range to compensate.

However, the older (pre '85.5 cars) had a simple temperature-based device in place of the ISV that closed as the engine warmed. A lot changed on the engines when they went to the ISV, but since the basic architecture is still the same, you might be able to get away without it.

So I bet the car will run without it, but may act weird at times.

Bryan
Old 04-16-2003, 05:08 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the car will run without the ISV, but I think most people keep it in because it idles much better with it. I don't think AC delete is the only reason you would want to get rid of it.

I've heard of more dedicated track people taking it out because they don't care much about idle, but for street driving, I think you would want to keep it.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:59 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I'm planning on going big next year. Not too worred about this year, she might not even get a thousand miles before winter. I'd hate to spend money on getting all new hoses, being that I,m still a few grand away from hearing her run. I'm not pinchng on details, just pinching on the ones that will be gone in less than a year. I've got a few oher things to spend on besides the car also. I just want to hear it run before I see snow.

Quick Reply: Idle stabilizer removal with no A/C?