Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pressure dampener delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003 | 02:49 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post fuel pressure dampener delete?

Would it only affect the idle quality if I was to remove the FPD? The reason is, I was lookng at the fuel rail setup. The lines that connect are consderably smaller, also the fittings are smaller too. I was thinking that if I remove it, the idle quality may suffer. The flow of fuel may improve enough to make it worth while. I couldn't find much on the subject by searching. I do recall reading a few posts on high RPM and boost lean conditions, even with new or upgrade pumps. This leads me to beleive that there is a significant restriction in the system before the injectors. Does anyone know about removng the FPD? I could be thinking backwards, but, doesn't vaccume open it or is it just dealing with pulsations. How exactly does it work? TIA
Old 04-16-2003 | 03:21 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

it deals with pulsations from the pump.

Removing it should have no affect on your idle, I don't see why you would draw that conclusion. The general concensus seems to be that the damper will allow enough fuel to flow up to about 450HP, past that it can become a restriction, so unless you're planning on making HUGE numbers, there's no reason to remove it. There's also no need to replace it if it fails, although I haven't heard of one failing very often at all.

My turbo didn't have one when I bought it, and depending on how I put things back together after my rebuild, I might use one, might not. I don't think it matters much at all.
Old 04-16-2003 | 03:53 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

The inlet at the fuel ral is about 8-10mm, the fuel line is 8mm. The line from the FPD to the rail is 4-5mm with two 90 degree bends. I see a possiblity for improvement, in theory it will only be capable of flowing what the smallest point of the system is. If you trust 450HP through a 5mm line, it's your choice. I'd rather see how she does, and have a little piece of mind that I'm looking at the whole car, all systems included. I beleive that it has a vaccume line going to it to deal with cylinder pulsations. All in all, if it will work without it. Then I'll have a spare. Thanks
Old 04-16-2003 | 04:16 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by nine-44:
<strong>If you trust 450HP through a 5mm line, it's your choice.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Two observations:

- one of the great advantages of Rennlist is the "strength in numbers" concept. If the tuners, owners, and engineers here on this board collectively agree that the stock fuel lines (sizes, not construction) are adequate, then I'd go with that.

- compare the ID of the fuel line overall from the pump to the rail. You'll find there are a few different sizes, but none are smaller than the line or check-valve itself. If you're still not satisfied that the fuel cannot benefit from the removal of certain parts, necessary or not, do the calculations of injector duty cycle/rates vs feed capacity.

FPD's are used on almost all modern FI systems - their use and usefulness are certain. If for no other reason than to reduce wear and tear on the other components of the fuel system such as the injectors.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: fuel pressure dampener delete?