Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROTOTYPE: Dual Gauge Pod for Center Speaker (Early Dash)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PROTOTYPE: Dual Gauge Pod for Center Speaker (Early Dash)

Here's a first look at the dual gauge pod prototype I've commissioned from Lo-Tek. I'm not happy with the position of the pods. IMO, they're too high, so I've instructed them to make a second prototype with the tops of the gauge pods flush with the top of the OEM speaker grill. Take a look and let me know what you think:

NOTE: THE PIECE PICTURED ABOVE is a PROTOTYPE, so it is very rough...the production piece would be have a much nicer finish, with the same type of surface as their A-pillar pod (I have one, and it is VERY nice).

Lo-Tek makes these using a vacuum forming method. As a consequence, they cannot make a piece with the necessary mounting pins that come on the OEM speaker grille. This means that their units would require the pod to be epoxied onto the speaker grille, so your OEM speaker grille will need to be sacrificed. It also means cutting the center out of the speaker grille to make room for the gauges. What I want to know is this: Are you willing to sacrifice your speaker grille for the gauge pod?

Also, Lo-Tek requires a MINIMUM order of 40 units, at an entry price ~$50 per piece, no discount structure available for group buy pricing. So question #2 is: Would you be willing to spend $50 for such a gauge pod that requires gluing and cutting of your stock speaker grille?

The other option I have yet to investigate is injection molding. I have a couple of Detroit-area contacts that purportedly do short-run injection molding, but I haven't pursued them yet. The advantage would be they could injection mold the entire piece with the mounting pins and everything, meaning that the speaker grille would not have to be used as a mounting piece. I have NO IDEA on cost of this approach yet.

Feedback please!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Personally I think some of the DIY versions with the grille removed and a plate mount look better. I think the prototype has a glommed on look when it goes over the grille like that.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use this in my 944 spec car. I cut the exiting grate to stick the gauges in. One is the stock oil pressure and the other is an aftermarket VDO oil temp.

I have no issues cutting my speaker gril. The only downside is some have gotten fragile over the years. I would not want them above the dash as I can't see over them since I sit so low. What I don't like about their location now is that they are at an angle and I can't see them straight on.

Not sure if would spend $50 for a sheet of thermoformed plastic. Remember we will need to be able to remove the pod so that we can get under it case of a gauge or wirring problem.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Also the texture and shine on the prototype look down right nasty. . .. .Yuck...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
krystar
Drifting

i think a piece of formed and predrilled panel plastic that retains the original grill shape with the retaining rods would be much better.

i also just snipped a hole to fit the oil pressure gauge in. but a piece of prebent fiberglass or pvc would be nice.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
luftpirate
Pro

I don't like the style at all, I think someone could come up with something that looks more smooth and stockish. I'm not exactly sure how to go about making a plug/mold for injection molding. I think someone could mock something up easily with fiberglass, then maybe they can scan it in to a computer to cut mold if it has to be metal.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Guys, this is not the final finish! It will have the look of the vinyl finish of the dash or A-pillar trim, just like their existing A-pillar pods.

The faces need to be angled, putting them flat in the existing speaker grill makes them hard to see. We'll see what the next version looks like, but remember, it's not the finish I'm asking about, it's the basic design and orientation.

Please keep the feedback coming, though, it's helpful...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice idea. I have a late car, so I'm not in the market, but how much could you lower the profile of the gauge pods while retaining the angle of the gauge faces? For instance, could you recess the bottom left and extrude the top right of each gauge just enough within the factory speaker opening to get the angle right without adding so much volume? Is there enough room behind the centre speaker grille for that, or do you need to do the pods in order to angle them enough?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

This is exactly the direction I've given Lo-Tek. I don't like the humps on top at all, and the faces can certainly be more flush. There's plenty of room behind the grill, remember, there was a 3-4" deep speaker sitting there.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you thinking of for attaching it? I don't know how that piece attaches, but would there be a way you could completely replace the factory grille with the new piece (if it uses tabs to mount, for instance, could you mold those tabs into the gauge pod, and ditch the grille altogether)?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pontifex4
What are you thinking of for attaching it? I don't know how that piece attaches, but would there be a way you could completely replace the factory grille with the new piece (if it uses tabs to mount, for instance, could you mold those tabs into the gauge pod, and ditch the grille altogether)?
That's what I want to do, but Lo-Tek uses a vacuum forming process, which doesn't allow for reproducing the tabs. The only way to do so that would be anywhere close to cost efficient would be injection molding. As I mentioned in the OP, it's an avenue I have some contacts on, but haven't yet pursued. I may do so this week.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're better off bending a piece of sheet metal the same as the grille and installing that for a flush look. I don't think your piece compliments the interior at all. Good job, though.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by ideola
Guys, this is not the final finish! It will have the look of the vinyl finish of the dash or A-pillar trim, just like their existing A-pillar pods.

The faces need to be angled, putting them flat in the existing speaker grill makes them hard to see. We'll see what the next version looks like, but remember, it's not the finish I'm asking about, it's the basic design and orientation.

Please keep the feedback coming, though, it's helpful...
I guess it was not the final finish, but I figured it would be good to make sure. You are correct in needing to angle the gauges for this to be viable. I am sure I could cut spare grate to make it look cleaner, but it still have the bad angles to deal with.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by ideola
That's what I want to do, but Lo-Tek uses a vacuum forming process, which doesn't allow for reproducing the tabs. The only way to do so that would be anywhere close to cost efficient would be injection molding. As I mentioned in the OP, it's an avenue I have some contacts on, but haven't yet pursued. I may do so this week.

This is a part that needs to be injection molded. It may cost more to make, but for $50 it need to be a drop in replacement for the stock grate.

A stick on type just seems a rip off at $50. Now I understand that $50 is what it may take to be cost effective given tooling etc, but from a market standpoint it is tough sell. The injection molded one may be even more since most injection mold tooling can be expensive.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Agreed. Given the wide variance of opinions on fit and finish, this may be a non-starter. This concept has been talked about so much, I was expecting a bit more enthusiastic reception, notwithstanding the rough interpretation of the prototype. But now, I'm not sure this will even get off the ground.

Quick Reply: PROTOTYPE: Dual Gauge Pod for Center Speaker (Early Dash)