Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE MECHANICS - CHICAGO

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 12:07 AM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PORSCHE MECHANICS - CHICAGO

I recently moved to the Chicagoland area, and I need to find a new mechanic for my 951. Any recommendations on independent shops that have decent experience with the 944 series? West or Far West suburban locations most preferred; however, I will drive to get quality service.

Thanks,
MDW
Old 01-03-2002, 01:21 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently moved to the Chicagoland area, and I need to find a new mechanic for my 951. Any recommendations on independent shops that have decent experience with the 944 series?
I can't recomend who TO use but I can recomend who NOT to use. MOTO DELTA.

I bought my car on EBay, from a guy in Chicago. The car ALLEGEDLY needed a clutch and had sat in storage, clutchless for 8 years. But the deal included a clutch (guy bought but did not install) and installation was only $700 Moto Delta (good buddy deal).

The car was towed to Moto Delta for the repair. When I arived in Chicago to close the deal, the repair bill was up to $3,000!

Battery, drain all fluids, clutch, belts, recharge A/C. All items that made sence to do on a car with 68,000 miles.

After a drive, I told Moto Delta the clutch felt funny and the A/C did not work. He said that the clutch slave needed to be bled and did not have time. He also refunded $300 for the A/C charge.

Well I threatned to back out of the deal and the guy said no problem, but the car was a beautiful low mile example so I bought it.

When I got home the rear main seal failed. Took it to a local dealer for repair and the dealer said that the clutch had never been removed! The tech said most of the bolts required to complete this job were frozen on (probably die to the Chicago salt)and had obiously not been recently removed.

I had been scamed. Still I love the car.

So I will say again.....DO NOT USE MOTO DELTA.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:02 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
I used European Auto Ltd in Lincoln Park for a new rack and pump in my na. The mechanic, Steve, was a real good guy, gave me a cheap price, talked with me for a while when I picked it up about what to expect to have to do to the car etc. Plus his ship usually has atleast one ferrari and a couple in there plus the usual array of p-cars, bimmers, race cars, etc. The address is 2547 N. Lincoln Ave. (773) 348-5440.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:16 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts
Thumbs up

I've had very competent, fair, and professional service from Fisher Motors 847.304.8822 in Barrington. They know 944's and 951's well, have a guy dedicated to them, and actually talk me out of work... That's pretty honest. They also do a lot of track car prep which suits me just fine.

Just a satisfied customer. Ping me off-line for more detail. Welcome to Chicago area too! Drop me an e-mail if you're interested in hooking up with a bunch of us locals for are twice-monthly beer night gatherings.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 01-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Although I'm on the other side of the continent, I'd like to share that I was just reffered to a guy who was the former head mechanic at the biggest Porsche dealership in Vancouver. He works out of his 2 door garage and is supposed to offer great prices. And get this his name is Klaus (could that be any more of a Porsche mech name?)!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Rick Veague
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently had my 951 serviced at Eurosport Racing in Addison. Did a great job, if maybe a little pricey (no surprise there). Defintely ran right after they got done with it.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:38 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Dave and Rick - Have either of you guys had tune ups at your respective shops? I am looking to have mine done prior to Autocross and DE. The shop I use said somewhere in the $350 range and I wanted to get a feel for what others are charging.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2002, 01:48 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

bump... sorry
Old 04-13-2002, 01:13 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

No tune up yet, but bits and pieces of tune-up stuff along the way. No idea what appropriate price would be. That price seems like a set price for a scheduled Porsche service and all that entails.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 04-13-2002, 09:21 AM
Nine44s
5th Gear

I have had excellent results using Becker Service in Naperville. (630)983-5500. Whenever I drive by they have one or two Porches in the shop. I had the belts replaced on my 968 for $452 which was much less than the Dealer and another independent shop which quoted $800. I asked how experienced they are with changing the belts my first time in and they said they were working on an S2 right then and usually do at least one or two belts a month. Last month I had the clutch replaced there for $1,100.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

The PO of my car lived blocks away from Becker and had all the service done there. Good work, even had 3 years worth of computer records for me when I called. I believe they race P-cars too, so they seem like a good bet in that area.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 04-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Hands down, the best shop in Chicago is Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. Even the mechanics at other good shops will tell you that they are the best. They do a lot of work on big league racing cars during the summer, so call as early as you can for an appointment.

Gene at Motor Werks in Barrington is also excellent for the water cooled cars. The only problem is that he is constantly being taken off of projects to do new car prep and other little things. So expect your car to sit there for a couple of weeks on average. But, Gene is factory trained and has over 25 years of experience.

Would not recommend Fisher Motors in Barrington or Highland Park Porsche. Lots of bad reviews of these places.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: PORSCHE MECHANICS - CHICAGO