Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Pole Kill Switch Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
cmayer810
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 6 Pole Kill Switch Install

I am trying to figure out the wiring for my kill switch. I have been looking at the current flow diagrams and I understand that the three wires that are attached to the main terminal wire go to the fuel pump relay, the ignition switch, and an additional fuse. What I am not understanding is the diagram that they sent me with the switch. Am I supposed to take the wire that runs to the ignition switch and put it to the pole that they are saying or should I connect it to the main terminal on the switch like it is now as well as the other wires? If I connect all the wires together what wire would go to the ignition pole they are suggestion to connect too? My other question is do I disconnect the green wire on the ignition coil and run a separate wire like the red one to the switch and leave the green one disconnected? Lastly when I connect the main power wire to the switch does this kill the alternator as well? When I look at the flow diagram the alternator runs to the starter and the starter runs to the batter so I would assume that it does kill the alternator, I would just like to be sure before I connect and try everything. I also assume that if I have an auxiliary power wire for something else such as a radar detector and I connect it to the switch on the main power side, when I turn the switch off the auxiliary wire will turn off as well, would adding that wire be ok to do? If you have a simpler way of explaining how to hook the switch up I am all ears. THANKS!!
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

This might help clear it up:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdf...structions.pdf

and this:

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...ery_switch.pdf

Your switch has a high amperage core for the battery, and two other contacts (pairs) which switch off the ignition (through the coil) and ground the alternator through a resistor (since as long as the alternator spins it generates electricity). You don't need a separate wire from the battery to the ignition cutoff, because you can wire it directly from the nonswitched side of the battery wire on the switch. And, you can just interrupt the (green) coil wire with the switch and gain the certain coil shutoff the switch gives you (run a green wire back to the switch on the hot side and to the coil from the switched side).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 PM
RobertSwe993
4th Gear

Hello.
I dont get it
Im trying now to install my 6 pole.
battery + is that only connected to the one side at the switch? not in at one side and out at another side at the kill swtich?

And main electric feed and alternator what wire is that on the picture/in the car?

Ignition coil or ignition system, what does it mean? + or - ? where do I find the cable?
and do i connect the + or - to the 6 pole? And should it ho go in and out again?

The ignition swtich, where do I found that cable that the picture show should be connected to it?

best regards
Old 07-03-2016, 11:32 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertSwe993
Hello.
I dont get it
Im trying now to install my 6 pole.
battery + is that only connected to the one side at the switch? not in at one side and out at another side at the kill swtich?
Robert,

As a temporary solution to the many 'electrical gremlins' haunting my 928 I decided to put a single-pole cut-off switch in my car. This switch is not for cutting off power in a running car; rather, it's to make sure I would have juice in the battery after letting the car sit for long periods of time. As such, I used a single-pole switch (pictured below). The two 'poles' or more accurately, stud terminals interrupt the positive cable. To make this accessible, I purchased a high-quality set of jumper cable wires and cut them to a length that let me install the switch on the floor beside the driver's seat.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2016, 02:50 PM
RobertSwe993
4th Gear

I need the 6 pole for racing
Old 07-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The switch has an 8 mm pair of bolts: you cut the main battery cable (disconnected from the battery) then crimp connectors on the ends and attach them to the switch. This turns off the main battery power.

The "W" poles are closed when the switch is off so you can run a small (16 or 18 ga) wire from the main battery to one side of the "W" with the other side a resistor to ground/earth. This drains the alternator current while the engine still turns.

The "Z" poles cut the power to the coil, so no spark when the switch is off. Trace the green coil wire back to the firewall, cut it and splice two long pieces of green wire which will lead to the switch, one on each side of "Z."

Hope this helps. Use the Pegasus link above as a reference.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 AM
RobertSwe993
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
The switch has an 8 mm pair of bolts: you cut the main battery cable (disconnected from the battery) then crimp connectors on the ends and attach them to the switch. This turns off the main battery power.

The "W" poles are closed when the switch is off so you can run a small (16 or 18 ga) wire from the main battery to one side of the "W" with the other side a resistor to ground/earth. This drains the alternator current while the engine still turns.

The "Z" poles cut the power to the coil, so no spark when the switch is off. Trace the green coil wire back to the firewall, cut it and splice two long pieces of green wire which will lead to the switch, one on each side of "Z."

Hope this helps. Use the Pegasus link above as a reference.
Hello,
Thank you, it seems easy =)

The green wire is to the altornator that is oki, and where do I find that? I have not seen it on the batteri. IS it behind the key ignition ?

The W poles are not required to do something with as I understand it? Its only If I want to run a stereo/watch etc ?

Its not important for the security in racing?

Quick Reply: 6 Pole Kill Switch Install