Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod Bearings - Any Guru's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rod Bearings - Any Guru's out there?

Hi all, after reading the archives I found a very helpful tech session regarding the replacement of the rod-bearings.
My questions are as follows:

The tech session details the steps in the Turbo Rod Bearing replacement, and mentions that it "may be modified to also work for an NA." Does anyone know what is different? Obviously anything involving the turbo or downpipe, but is there anything thats not so obvious? 1984 MY BTW.

Second, the tech session article lists this as about 12 hours for a Turbo and about 6 hours for an NA. It also says that a novice wrench can do this job. How likely is it that I will actually be able to do this? I've done some work on my cars, but this seems to be a little more involved than anything I've undertaken before. Is it reasonable to assume that someone with a fair amount of wrenching experience can do this?

Third, if I do go to a shop, whats about right for total price, parts and labor? My local wrench estimated around $2000. Not too keen on dropping $2grand there as I just got the car back from him to a tune of $1700. Would rather do it myself and would do it myself if it was a reasonable weekend undertaking.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me.

Paul
1984 944
1987 944
Old 08-30-2002, 05:36 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The job is pretty easy and straight foward. The most difficult part is making sure that the oil pan gasket is seated correctly. Just take your time and follow the procedure and you should have no problems.
If you do run into something you are not sure of you can always just post another question to the list.
Dave Fracolli
85.5 955 with new rod bearings and 88 pistons
Old 08-31-2002, 04:20 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The hour difference is based solely on the removal of the crossover pipe for the Turbo - later models with 2-piece crossovers have a much easier time of it, but the na cars are the easiest in that regard.

The job is labor intensive, but not really technical. The most difficult part is tetering on the edge of madness trying to get the oil-pan seal seated properly.

Be righteous with your torques!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Rod Bearings - Any Guru's out there?