Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIbration at 65 need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 11:12 AM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post VIbration at 65 need opinions

OK Just got the car back from the shop to put in the second rebuilt rack plus new inner tie rods in, and get another full alignment. Just got off the phone with the guys and they tell me that during the alignment they checked the entire steering systems components and all was good. This includes the ball joints and the bushings on the control arms. They also told me that if there was a problem with the control arms they would have a problem with aligning the car and they would have pointed this out to me. The problem is evident at 65 mph and is fairly consistent and does get worse that faster the car goes 80 feels dangerous because of the shaking in the wheel. I can also feel this shaking in the pedals as well. Breaking is solid and I do NOT feel the vibration during even heavy breaking. I rotated the tires this morning front to back and will get a full balance on them first thing in the morning. I just can’t see it as being a balance issue. But who knows.

About the only thing that has not been replaced or worked on yet in the front end are the bearings. Is it possible the bearings are causing this odd vibration? I have them to install but have not as of yet. I need the expert opinion of this board.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

IT is possible for the bearing to cause/contribute to vibrations.For me a wheel balance helped,but the cure for me was new tires,( the old ones were dry rot and flat spot)I also have removed the front wheel locks.With them I do get a very minor virbration at very high speed.I want to get 2 more regular alloy lugs.That way it will all be the same!
How old are the tires? What shop are you using?
Old 08-30-2002, 11:37 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel bearings?
Bad strut?
Strut bearing worn?
Tires?
Old 08-30-2002, 11:44 AM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The tires are less than a year old and the struts where put on new at the same time.
Lug nuts are all new alloy. The wheel bearings are the only thing that I have that are not in yet. I hadn’t considers the strut bearing how could this be tested out to confirm whether or not it was bad?

Before I am finished this car will be brand new except for the body and frame at this rate.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:15 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Front wheel bearings. Probably the most neglected thing in a car. Not just this car, all cars. and trailers also. They should be repacked once a year at least. Not just when you do the brake pads. This is the spot where your car actually contacts the road. Think about it. so as they wear and they do. They get loose. Not a lot. but take a caliper and measure out .001" then think what that .001" looks like 17" outward.. plus the fact that there is now no grease between the spindle and bearing. add a few thousand pounds of force on a turn. that you do continually. That is where it all ends up... couple of MM's on a bearing face.. Lube well and lube often..IT won't kill ya. and its fun having a hand full of grease!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:23 PM
snappy
Racer

same thing happned to me, and it turned out to be in desperate need for front shocks/.. I plan on doing allround replacement this weekend. Rule of thumb is "if needs to be replaced it's time for all to get replaced" dam laybor is pricey for those front ones..
Old 08-31-2002, 07:04 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I have the exact same problem, starts vibrating at about 60mph.

Quick Reply: VIbration at 65 need opinions