Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Emissions. What a diff a little maint can do for you

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010 | 11:11 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Default CA Emissions. What a diff a little maint can do for you

Had the car smogged today and during the test I was really worried that I wouldn't pass. Two years ago I barely passed and I think the reason for barely passing was I didn't do anything to prepare the car for the test other than my routine annual oil change since I drive the car barely 1k a year.

This year I did my routine of changing the plugs, cap and rotor, changed the oil. Removed the stock airbox and tightened every vacuum line that I could see.

A little maintenance goes a long way....

Here's the difference. My car has Scivision MAF and 951 Max chips.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2010 | 12:38 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Congrats. That's a great feeling I know. How did you get away with the MAF?
Old 02-19-2010 | 12:53 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Hey Tom. I've gone through 3 Smog test so far with this MAF at two different locations. The last two in the same location. Had no problems so far. I've been using the same shop now for the last few of years and also bring all my cars to him even if the other cars don't have to go to a Test only station. Now that he knows me he doesn't even bother looking around. Specially when I take the Boxster S in. He doesn't even look under the car or ask to look into the eng compartment.
Old 02-19-2010 | 12:36 PM
944Spec_Bound
Intermediate

I had to do Calif emissions test for the 2nd year in a row, it passed but it was odd...

The first time it barely passed. The test results were dramatically better this time - 1/2 of the HC emissions, 1/3 of the CO, and 1/2 of the NO.

The only thing I really did to the powertrain performance wise since the prior test was I removed the stock muffler and put on a straight through glass pack. Same CAT is in place.

Does a more free flowing exhaust make it run cleaner?
Old 02-19-2010 | 10:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cas951
Hey Tom. I've gone through 3 Smog test so far with this MAF at two different locations. The last two in the same location. Had no problems so far. I've been using the same shop now for the last few of years and also bring all my cars to him even if the other cars don't have to go to a Test only station. Now that he knows me he doesn't even bother looking around. Specially when I take the Boxster S in. He doesn't even look under the car or ask to look into the eng compartment.
Lucky man. I may have to try your place next time.

Quick Reply: CA Emissions. What a diff a little maint can do for you