Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven brake pad wear, And a loose rotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 AM
mein_tag
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven brake pad wear, And a loose rotor

I'm trying to figure out how this could happen. The right side pads are down to the metal, and the rotor moves side to side pretty easliy. The rotor rotates through the caliper as smooth as silk. I'm thinking the wheel bearings came loose. It's just the right front though.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry I don't have an answer, just another question.
I just recently replaced my brake pads and on my front driver side one of the brake pads wore at an angle how do I fix this, a shim?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine wore like that. The uneven wear front to back of the pad is due to one of the pistons not moving in and out freely. This wears one end of the pad out. Also my brake pads were corroded into the calipers limiting the movement within the caliper. I took the caliper mounting bolts loose, pried out the pads (they were really stuck in there due to rust, the car had been sitting 4 to 5 years), and cleaned the calipers and pads well. I also cleaned around the caliper piston and put the caliper back on the car. I then worked the piston in and out by pressing it in with the pad and then pushing carefully on the brake pedal to push it back out. Did that several times to get it moving freely. It works fine for me now, I just need to buy new pads since mine wore down on such an angle. Yours look just as corroded as mine did before I did the work.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay W
Mine wore like that. The uneven wear front to back of the pad is due to one of the pistons not moving in and out freely. This wears one end of the pad out. Also my brake pads were corroded into the calipers limiting the movement within the caliper. I took the caliper mounting bolts loose, pried out the pads (they were really stuck in there due to rust, the car had been sitting 4 to 5 years), and cleaned the calipers and pads well. I also cleaned around the caliper piston and put the caliper back on the car. I then worked the piston in and out by pressing it in with the pad and then pushing carefully on the brake pedal to push it back out. Did that several times to get it moving freely. It works fine for me now, I just need to buy new pads since mine wore down on such an angle. Yours look just as corroded as mine did before I did the work.
In addition.....

Wire brush the calipers and all moving parts. I used a Dremel with a wire brush to finish.

Then use a brake grease to lubricate anything that moves metal to metal on the caliper.

Do not reuse your pad if the wear is seriously uneven and cannot be sanded to equal portions on each side. Caution----OEM organic pads MAY have asbestos. Asbestos may also be on the crud you will wire brush off. Wear a mask.

GL
John_AZ
Attached Images  

Last edited by John_AZ; 02-13-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added MAY
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I dont think OE brake pads ever used an asbestos binder. I remember the pads printed "non-asbestos" in the early 90's. And the part description in PET states "without asbestos". Not too many disc brake pads used/use asbestos in the past 25-30 years. Was more common with drum brake shoes. Regardless, its not a bad idea to use some sort of filter/mask.

The N/A single piston floating calipers will always have uneven pad wear (some amount of tapered wear on each pad), which is one of the reasons that the multi-piston fixed calipers are a much better design. I never measured any, but an 1/8"+ difference between top and bottom, inner to outer edge of the pad material wouldnt surprise me at all.

Do check the orientation of the relief cut in the face of the piston, if oriented wrong it will make a big difference with uneven pad wear.

Should not have significantly different wear between the inner and outer pad (pic from the OP). That looks like pad is hanging up or the caliper is sticking.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Jim.

I am just being cautious. I am also afraid of the OEM silver heat sheild fiber backing as well when I do a clutch.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

Uneven pad wear additional info:
http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/brakepad.html

Quick Reply: Uneven brake pad wear, And a loose rotor