Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Frequency Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default High Frequency Noise

So for the past week or so I have been trying to track down what I thought was a boost leak, turns out it is related to the engine wiring harness!

The harness that goes to the main 12 pin connector near the fuel evap, brake master, etc seems to pick up interference from what I believe is the crank sensors or something near the bell housing. The only way for me to stop the noise is to move the harness up/away. When I do that, the noise immediately stops (although with a hard rev I can still hear it above 4K rpms) and the car seems to run a bit smoother -not that it was rough before hand, just barely noticeable.

I haven't touched those wires in at least 10K miles, anyone know how it could have started, if it's an issue, and what I can do to reduce what I'm assuming to be the interference? I am going to ziptie the harness in place see if it stops it and go from there unless anyone else have another opinion.

FWIW, these are the Lindsey Racing Engine harnesses I have installed.

Quick Reply: High Frequency Noise