Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good place to buy 944 front seats upholstery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
zblowfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good place to buy 944 front seats upholstery?

I have been browsing e-bay, and just looking for a good price on a set of black front seat upholstery/cover.

I have seen a few pop up, but they are vinyl, I was wondering would that match my car well? Something like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories

Would you recommend them? I need them to match color wise, thats the big deal, but also I'd like them to hold up until sale in a few years.

My car was a California car, doesn't look very good on the inside

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Try these guys there a little more than you probably want to spend but if you want a nice interior these are the best!

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/S..._and_Kits.html
Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 AM
zblowfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will look into those, but you are right, they are a bit outside my price range, i'm just trying to pick up the interior a bit.

Do you know of any guides out there on how to remove the upholstery from the current seats and how to install a new kit? I don't know how hard it would be, I'd love to tackle it on my own if I could.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Just go to any auto upohlstery web site and look around a bit to get a feel for the business. When you decide on your kit to buy it will come with new hog rings and cheap hog ring pliers. They have a notch in them to clamp down on the ring and crimp it once its installed through the leather and around the seat frame! I also suggest getting your seats out of the car and really looking at how the factory stretch and installed the covers. if it was me I would go with a couple hundred more dollars and go with the leather it smells way better, feels much more comfortable, looks right and doesnt get as warm or slippery when wet or sweaty!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche upholstery: http://www.lemansautofabrics.co.nz/fabric-porsche.html
Vinyl specifically: http://www.lemansautofabrics.co.nz/vinyl-porsche.html
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with an ebay vinyl option. Honestly, the look of the vinyl is really nice. I just couldn't justify spending over an 1/8th of the cost of my car on leather seats.. The vinyls these days aren't like the cheesy stuff of yesteryear.. my only gripe is that they didn't fit perfectly. If I had more time, I would have re-sewn a little part to make the seat bottom tighter... Not a big deal, but a little gripe, nonetheless.

Oh, and with the new seats, the rest of the interior really shows its eighties quality...or lack there of.. I ended up redoing the whole thing. But for $220 or something, definitely worth it and they look more like leather than the old leather seats! Hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Stephen
Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

I know what you mean, just re-doing the seats and dashboard in the early 944's really makes a gigantic difference in the feels new category!

Alex thats a great site with the Porsche print fabric as I have a pair of black early sport seats from a 924 S with Porsche print fabric in the centers that needs recovering. I actually found another 924S in a junkyard with a great looking non sport passenger seat in the same fabric center so I cut out just the Porsche print on bottom and top. I still dont have enough though.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by boost feen
I know what you mean, just re-doing the seats and dashboard in the early 944's really makes a gigantic difference in the feels new category!

Alex thats a great site with the Porsche print fabric as I have a pair of black early sport seats from a 924 S with Porsche print fabric in the centers that needs recovering. I actually found another 924S in a junkyard with a great looking non sport passenger seat in the same fabric center so I cut out just the Porsche print on bottom and top. I still dont have enough though.
I believe the guy that runs the website had posted prices on 924board (Rasta ordered some Pasha fabric from him), and I thought there was a better website, but I can't find it. And his posts have been deleted from 924board

Quick Reply: Good place to buy 944 front seats upholstery?