Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 point harness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:20 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread, lots of interesting stuff but it strikes me the best bet is not to have a harness bar at all ? Either a roll cage or direct to the rear seat belt mounts using a proper race seat with slots in the back to limit any downward force on your shoulders.

I've got a KLA bar in mine fitted it last week, and to me its too thin the angles on the belts are wrong and the belts are far too long when looped over it.

I'll probably take them out for my next track outing and stick with the factory belt until I can stretch to a half cage with some proper mounts.

Mike

Mike
Old 04-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mike_hammond
Good thread, lots of interesting stuff but it strikes me the best bet is not to have a harness bar at all ? Either a roll cage or direct to the rear seat belt mounts using a proper race seat with slots in the back to limit any downward force on your shoulders.
Mike,
I strongly suggest AGAINST NOT using a harness bar or roll bar -- using the rear seats only, even with the seats that have the pass-through holes can still cause too much downward force in the event of a sudden loss of acceleration. The slots are designed to be a guide -- most likely they will not properly handle the stress in a collision.

-Z.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:42 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my problem is that I've got a KLA bar on the C pillar which is too thin and also sits too high so the angles and length of the belts are wrong.

Not happy with KLA or Willans for recommending the 4 points it so will probably look into a half cage solution and sell the belts on Ebay.

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike:
I used a C-pillar mounted harness bar in my 944S2 before getting a Redline rollbar. It worked great, even with the stock seats.

I know I'm rehasing things here, but IMHO, a harness bar with seats that have the shoulder harness holes are fine. Just loop the harnesses over the bar and attach to the rear seat belt mounting points.

-Z.

Quick Reply: 5 point harness question