Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxidation on cam tower and other zinc coated parts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Oxidation on cam tower and other zinc coated parts...

I am looking at a very low mile 951 in allegedly incredible shape. I will see it this weekend. From some of the pictures, alot of the zinc coated parts (cam cover, pressure fittings, etc) are oxidized with the standard little white dots. I know this is pretty common, especially in a humid environment (even though this particular 951 is a garage queen, still lived in humid Florida for much of its life thus far).

Whats the best way to remove the oxidation? I saw a post of someone re-zincing their parts and it looked gorgeous. Anyone who has done that, was that a difficult or expensive process?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, you are looking to get back into the 951 game? Wow. Here is a link, check this out. Kevin did an awesome job with his engine, and gave a very detailed outline of what he did as well. Tons of great info for you.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-pictures.html
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Awesome, that's the thread I was looking for, couldn't find it. Found his "for sale" thread with the millions of zinc coated parts for sale. Might be taking a closer look at that in the near future.

Yep, I think I might get back into the 951 world if everything works out this weekend. Going to look at the car this weekend. I will let you all know, will you take someone back who went to the dark side for a bit?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
robert944h
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that didn't take too long Where in Florida is it located. I may be able to look at it with you. I'll be driving from Pensacola to Miami over the weekend. I'll be strapped for time, but you never know it might work out.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For additional corrosion protection, you might consider not only re-Zincing, but having the parts subsequently plated with Cad DiChromate, and then heat treated. There is a shop right around the corner from me that will do a 5 gallon bucket of parts (as much as you can fit into it) for around $200. I've had them do knuckles, brake dust shields, hundreds of nuts, bolts, and washers, and even things like exhaust heat shields.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

@ideola, thanks for the info I might take you up on that.

@robert, its not in Florida, but thanks for the offer - can't really think of anyone I'd rather do a PPI! You have PM.

-M
Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
robert944h
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt O.
@ideola, thanks for the info I might take you up on that.

@robert, its not in Florida, but thanks for the offer - can't really think of anyone I'd rather do a PPI! You have PM.

-M
Oh, I didn't catch that. It lived in Florida not located in FL. Anyways hope all is well, just got back from taking the 44 to daytona for the 24hr Rolex.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
athens944
Pro

Contact Josh B on this board - He sells fresh zinc items!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's in as good shape as you say, I'd live with the minor blemishes and keep the car as original as possible. We are fast approaching the time when these cars will no longer be found in stock condtion. Happy hunting!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
If it's in as good shape as you say, I'd live with the minor blemishes and keep the car as original as possible. We are fast approaching the time when these cars will no longer be found in stock condtion. Happy hunting!
Excellent point, and that is exactly what my plan is. I plan on doing no major modifications that are not original or can't be put back in an afternoon. Zero engine mods, don't want to go down that road.

Do you think it will devalue the car if I start replacing/refinishing most of the parts in the engine bay? I was basically doing to start at the top left, and work my way down to the bottom right. Refinishing or replacing anything that looks old.

Your post has me thinking now. I have every intention of keeping the car otherwise stock.

Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: Oxidation on cam tower and other zinc coated parts...