Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master/Slave question-already searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master/Slave question-already searched

So I was in DC a few weeks ago, jumped in the car to take off, pedal to the floor......made a power bleeder bled the system, good to go on the drive back to NC.....well I have fluid leaking and the puddle to prove it, but I can't find the leak. My clutch pedal is "soft" and really easy to depress, and I don't even really feel it when shifting through 2-5. Is this normal? I drove a Turbo about 5 months ago and I remember the clutch being a lot more stiff than my S. The clutch has been replaced according to the PO, but he "didn't have the paperwork".The slave/master look 20+years old. When the clutch/master go is the car not driveable until they are replaced? I thought it may be just a leaking hose since I can bleed the system and drive the car all day. As long as I top the fluid off daily, I don't have to bleed for a couple days. Also, if helps there is about 1.5-2" freeplay which I'm going to take care of this week.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You probably just have a leak in the master, slave, or the hose running between them, but to be safe you should make sure the leak is not coming from the brake system. The clutch and brakes share the same fluid, but the clutch runs dry first, presumably for safety. Clean things up and find where the leak is to be safe. Assuming it's the clutch hydraulics that are leaking, I recommend you replace all three parts at the same time -- master, slave and hose. Otherwise, if you install one new part, it puts extra stress on the remaining old parts and they have an increased chance of failing. When i fist did mine, I replaced the master and drove for a few weeks. Then the slave went, so I replaced it and drive a few weeks. Then the hose went bad, so I was bad in there a thrid time to replace it...
Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12834

the link contains part numbers and source for braided lines to replace the rubber hose, doing this when replacing the master and slave made a world of difference in the feel for me! Not to mention the braided lines are cheaper than the rubber hose, let you bleed the slave above the master, and look good too!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Got the last of the parts today.....master/slave and braided line setup......Do I need to put any type of loctite, teflon tape on the threads? Torque specs on the connections? Also, I forgot to order the hose that goes from the reservoir to the master, is that a huge thing if it doesn't get replaced? And when I install all of this tomorrow, does the slave just bolt up? Or do I need to do anything with the pushrod in the slave? (compress maybe?)

Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

No teflon tape needed. The high pressure sealing happens at the flared end of the tube mating to to the conical surface machined in the casting. Not sure about the torque specs; I just make then good & tight. When the reservoir hose gets old it can weep fliud through the wall but no worries, you can always replace it later. Slave does just bolt up but IIRC, you do re-use the push rod.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Excuse my ignorance, but what is IIRC? And what do you mean re-use the push rod?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My slave came with a pushrod, If I Remember Correctly (IIRC). Been There Done That (BTDT). If you have a puddle under the car, it isn't likely the M/C, they usually leak into the car. Slaves get hot, usually go first.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Sorry Tony, I lapsed into web forum acronyms... too lazy to type it all out. I just looked at a photo of a new slave cylinder here:

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...41+clutch-9441

As you can see, a new push rod is included. So much for my memory...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Thanks guys, headed to the auto hobby shop......
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Ok so 3 hours all parts are changed out......hooked up the power bleeder and the car proceeded to **** brake fluid all over the bay.....So I finally tighten the connections and get the freeplay set at the master. Hook up the power bleeder and bleed, no pressure, bleed some more, no pressure, bleed another 2 liters, no pressure. The auto shop closed so I had to leave it overnight, but i think the problem may be that I installed the master and slave with no fluid in them. Does the slave need to be bled with the pushrod completely extended? and then it gets compressed as it's installed already bled? Someone please tell me yes so I can sleep tonight knowing what I need to do in the morning.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you did everything all right.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

On the picture in the link above.....he's bleeding the slave with it out of the car, maybe that's my problem.....i installed it (compressed the pushrod) then bled after
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

I installed my new slave same as you, no problem. I think your clutch master may be toast if it won't build pressure.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It's better if you bench bleed the master before installation but it isn't easy to do since it doesn't have its own reservoir. I used a vacuum bleeder when I did mine and it was still a pain in the ***. There is probably an air pocket stuck in the master. Maybe getting a helper to pump the pedal so you can do it the old fashioned way might help.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Brand new and toast? Say it ain't so SMH.....I'm gonna pull the slave and bleed it with it out and hope It works out.....I'm gonna try and bleed it manually as well tomorrow....i'm getting clear fluid no bubbles.

Quick Reply: Master/Slave question-already searched