Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS device and Harness bars..???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 07:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Default HANS device and Harness bars..???

Firstly, is anyone running a HANS device on the track?

Secondly, I won't have a roll cage in this particular car so can something like the Brey Krause Harness bar work as a substitute for attaching the HANS?
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1020.php

I had a bar running across what we'd probably term our 'C' pillars but looking at the HANS website, this would be too far away for the straps to attach. They want something like 8" or less so I'm thinking this bar needs to be on the 'B' pillar.
Does or has anyone run one of these?

Any info welcome.
Old 01-31-2010 | 09:12 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

ask this in the racing forum under the Perf. & Comp. heading....that's where all the track junkies hang out !
Old 02-01-2010 | 11:13 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Firstly, is anyone running a HANS device on the track?

Secondly, I won't have a roll cage in this particular car so can something like the Brey Krause Harness bar work as a substitute for attaching the HANS?
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1020.php
I run a HANS. I have for 4 years now and will not go on track without one.

You can use a harness bar, but to make sure your HANS is effective the you need to follow the dimensions they list for spacing of the belts on the bar, angle to shoulders and distance from the anchor point.

To ensure my harness does not spread out on my cross bar I installed split ring collars to ensure the harness does not slide around. I also had to remove my seat pad to keep the angle proper. If I use the seat pad I sit too high and HANS digs into my shoulders. Without the pad it is very comfortable.

Now... That BK bar may not work for you, but in general a harness bar can work assuming the mounting is strong. My bigger concern with harness bars is most are not strong enough and I am not confident this one will be strong enough. Personally I don't have a concern about harnesses without roll bars. I think a roll bar is better, but you are still fine if you harness mounting is strong.

Quick Reply: HANS device and Harness bars..???