Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, Stefan at SW Stereo is really good guy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
Good info. Going to look at those Polk plates at a local shop.

Where did that list come from? The Kickers are available but I'd need to see them in person. May try that. The Jensens will fit, and they're very cheap, but they're crap. I may end up with them. The Alpine 406's won't fit. The 406a's will. Going to research the others.

Yes, I may be interested in yours. When are you making the switch?
I made the list from looking at the specs and pictures on sonicelectronix. As for the Jensons being crap - no idea really. I've been surprised by them before, but in this size and price range, they may, indeed, not be a very good speaker. I just thought that it was interesting that out of all the speakers I looked at, it was the only one NOT made in China. Even my Blaupunkts are made in China.

My speakers are available anytime. The car is sitting, waiting for me to start working on it again and I have the replacement front door speakers ready to go in now.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a shop that has a good reputation in your area. Let them show you what they have. If they dont have any that will fit, they should be able to order something for you. It is such an easy speaker to install and usually you can find a basic co-ax speaker and have it installed for about $100.00
For a shop that has good installer this is basic 101. By the way 4x6s are one of the worst size for a speaker besides a 3 1/2. You are never going to get Good midrange out of them. Most companies dont even make a high end 4x6.
That size has not been used in new cars in years. That I can remember.
GM was probably one manufacter that I can remember using that size.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the late model front speaker grilles. From what I have read and heard, they give you more clearance. So, while it may not be what your particular car came with stock, they are still technically period-specific and stock for 944s. Not the greatest picture, but here they are:
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ordered a set of these and had them shipped from the UK. Took about 10 days.

After trying a dozen sets of speakers, I'm happy to report that these are truly a drop-in solution. Perfect fit with no bulging of the grills. And they sound great.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
Here you go guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ordered a set of these and had them shipped from the UK. Took about 10 days.

After trying a dozen sets of speakers, I'm happy to report that these are truly a drop-in solution. Perfect fit with no bulging of the grills. And they sound great.
Good news! Alpine is a superior brand.

Historically, the easiest 'late' replacement were the Kenwood 4x6s. That's what I went with for my S2 and they definitely drop in with zero fitment problems.

Quick Reply: So, Stefan at SW Stereo is really good guy...