Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving around late-style guages?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
krahmlow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving around late-style guages?

Did a search on this, and I can't believe no one has asked.... I've got a Momo steering wheel, which I REALLY prefer to the stock wheel, but I'm getting tired of bending down to see the 50-90 mph range on the speedo. Plus, I don't like taking my eyes off the road for that long. I was thinking that if I could switch the tach and speedo and rotate the speedo counter-clockwise, I'd be able to see everything up to 120 mph or so just fine. Is this possible on a late-style instrument cluster? Anyone tried it? Thx!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong, but I don't think this could be done.
If it could, it will not be very easy.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken the cluster apart a couple of times and i'm very sure it can't be done.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The gauges are powered via the membrane on the back of the cluster. If you were to switch the gauges, they wouldn't receive correct power. Also, either the tach or the speedo have a recess behind it that houses a piece of the gauge. I don't think this would be possible.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a cheap cluster out of a parts car and mess around with that instead of taking the chance of messing up yours.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on it not being possible.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm gonna get flamed here... or be hailed for thinking "outside the box"..

YES it can be done, and it is easier than you might think...
1) disassemble the gauge cluster to the point you have the back off the front (with all the gauges still attached to it)
2) remove the speedo needle
3) remove the FACE of the speedo gauge
4) scan the speedo face using the best resolution your scanner will manage
5) using photoshop or some other editing software move the speedo numbers to where you want them relative to where they are now (so the odometer will remain usefull)
6) print your new face and bond it onto the old one
7) cut the printed face to match the old one..
8) reassemble, but put the needle back on in the new orientation

switching the tach and speedo takes a little more work, but it can be done.. we have the technology... that is if you have BASIC soldering skills you can make it happen.

ask me how I know... pay attention to the gauges in the video.. I know the video SUCKS, but it shows my gauges, and yes that is a mechanical gauge, I am working on fine tuning a electronic to replace it, but look over on the right side... all the factory delivered gauges are still there, just in different places... I also took the liberty of deleting the KPH marks "while I was in there..."

http://www.renntube.com/videos/13/mu...r-camera-mount
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cats, thanks for the tip, but that's a bit more ambitious than I'm feeling right now. I was kind of hoping for an easy swap. Though you've given me an idea.... If I could move the numbers further inward, closer to the center of the speedo, that would solve my problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krahmlow
Holy cats, thanks for the tip, but that's a bit more ambitious than I'm feeling right now. I was kind of hoping for an easy swap. Though you've given me an idea.... If I could move the numbers further inward, closer to the center of the speedo, that would solve my problem.
Porsche obviously never meant for the gauges to get moved around, but it CAN be done... when I did mine the first go was on a spare gauge cluster... my final hurah at it will be in the coming months, elec boost gauge around the WBO2 on the left...oil, gas, temp, and battery on the right, left middle tach, right middle speedo... all white faced like they are now..

having the AM boost gauge and WBO2 are very useful when tuning, but I don't like the A pillar mount, and below the radio really isn't very good as you have to look down to see them... having them siamesed into the cluster puts them right there with the rest of the gauges... I have liked it so far, just need to wrap em up..

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the identical problem.

I solved it by lowering the DRIVER SEAT.

Especially if you are a tall person, you could also move the steering wheel away from the gauges by adding a Hub/Wheel Spacer.

Or try something like the JWest Engineering Steering Eccentric Adapter (www.jwesteng.com/porsche/steering.htm).

MN

Quick Reply: Moving around late-style guages?