Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

begginers racing seat help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 AM
djpotential
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default begginers racing seat help!

So, what do i look for in a racing seat for a 944. I am a begginer who doesnt want to drain the bank, but doesnt want crap either. What seats are acceptable and what do i need to know about mounting before i buy?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Banshee
Instructor

I think there is a really good thread for a person who did a whole seat replacement, can't remember what its called though. Do a search see if you can find anything.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Comfort and safety requirements. Use a seat that has FAI or SFI certification - that's about as good as it gets. And, obviously, try it out before you buy and make sure you're comfortable. That can make the difference between a relaxed time on the track where you're turning fast laps, vs. physical and mental discomfort - plus regret that you spent money for crap.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

First you need to define what your needs are. Are you looking for a racing seat to go racing (e.g. a fully stripped caged car), or just to have a more modern, sport seat for day-to-day usage. Those are two totally different things.

Buying seats is tough because there are no "seat stores" where you can try out all of the various brands and models. But unlike OEM seats, aftermarket seats definitely come in different shapes and sizes. The best way to figure out what you like and what fits you is to go to get-togethers or track events and literally ask people if you can try their seats.

In general, resist the urge to go with a cheap brand. They can look like the real deal, but they will inevitably suffer from inferior construction and substandard materials.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg is right.

Aftermarket seats come in two basic types.
"Sport seats" are reclining seats with a more sport feel. Some are ok, some are crap. A few are really good. These are ok for street driving and occasional track use. These however are NOT racing seats.

Racing seats
Fixed back seats with SFI, FIA or metal seats.
There are two basic styles. Composite and Metal. There are also tube frame racing seats, but stay away from these. Their just not the best. Composite seats start around $500 each and can go to $2000 each. Expensive, but very nice. I run a Sparco Pro2000. I installed it many years ago and really love it. Confortable and it holds me well. On the passeger's side I run a Kirkey intermediate. I got this seat used with a cover for $50 (or maybe $100). Anyway it is aluminium so will last forever and is pretty idiot proof. However I don't like the way it fits me. It is perfect for a pass seat as it is 100% race lega and safe.

So if you plan on racing get a fixed back racing seat. Best advice is to go to the track and just ask guys to sit in thier cars. When looking for my racing seat I found the Momo's just did not fit me well. Not sure why, but the shape did not work for me.

Also if you plan to race consider the head supports. Some seats have head halo's. There are pros and cons to these and there is not easy answer. However all racing orgs now require either a halo or a net. I chose a net inside the car.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

i had this issue when i had my 924S. for autocross i neede more support than the stock seats. I also didnt want to run a harness just yet, so i wanted something that could be run with a 3 pt seatbelt, but still be supported. I ended up with a MOMO RS GT. It was probably one of the best choices. i got the fixed back model, and it was super supportive, yet extremely comfy. Since im tall, i made some custom brackets to mount to the stock rails, since the momo adapters actually raise the seat.

i was very happy with it to say the least

Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can run 3pt belts with a racing seat if you run the belt through the seat holes.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much street use does the car see? That will influence which seat you get a lot. Cheaper seats usually arent as comfortable.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
djpotential
Advanced

I am using the car as a weekend driver that i will eventually take to the track for a few runs. Nothing major. I don't need to have a rollcage or fit to regulations.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
djpotential
Advanced

Whats a price range i can expect for a basic reclining RC?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by djpotential
Whats a price range i can expect for a basic reclining RC?
There are actually very few seats that combine: (1) 5/6 point harness capability, and (2) reclineability. Very few seats recline AND have a hole in the seat to run the anti-submarine belts. The reason is that recliners are not legal for real racing, so there's not much demand for a street seat with a sub-belt hole. I found (and bought) a set of used Recaro SRDs a couple of years ago. It's probably the "score" I am most proud of since buying the 944.

If you are not going to go with a harness setup, then your options are wide open. Check out Sparco, Recaro, Momo, Racetech. Look at OGRacing, Apex Performance. Learn the brand and model numbers. You can try too find bargains on new seats, but they rarely break price. Used seats can be a deal, but you'd really like to see them before buying.

For mounting the seats, you'll probably want "sliders" which are either made by the seat manufacturer or aftermarket. If you want to use the OEM 3 point seat belts, you'll also need to remove the inboard buckle receptacle (attached to the 944 seat frame) and bolt it to a reinforced part of the tunnel.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

^ I recommended the same seat, over on Pelican.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

without subholes, u'll be restricted to oem 3point belts.

u really can't upgrade to 5/6 harnesses without a sub hole seat and a roll bar. so it's a big jump.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
without subholes, u'll be restricted to oem 3point belts.

u really can't upgrade to 5/6 harnesses without a sub hole seat and a roll bar. so it's a big jump.
You can use a sub-belt hole, 5/6 point and not have a roll bar if you use a harness guide bar and mount the harnesses to the rear seatbelt anchors. I did for 2 years until getting a roll bar.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
You can use a sub-belt hole, 5/6 point and not have a roll bar if you use a harness guide bar and mount the harnesses to the rear seatbelt anchors. I did for 2 years until getting a roll bar.
That's what I'm doing now.

Quick Reply: begginers racing seat help!