Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Coolant Bleeding Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:34 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couple Coolant Bleeding Questions...

I'm about to pull my heater hose off by the bellhousing to replace my negative battery cable this weekend. I've pulled that hose off before when I cleaned the ground and obviously dumped some coolant. I've got some of those plastic hose pliers and I'm going to see if those will work and still give me enough room to work down there since I'm going to attempt with the intake on.

Anyway, when I was bleeding last time (I bought a pressure bleeder) I couldn't figure out how to bleed out of the screw without just spraying or dumping coolant everywhere. What do you guys do when you are loosening that screw? Just throw a bunch of rags around it?

There's obviously no way to not spill some - I just put my hose on a trickle when I had my front end up on the race ramps and tried to get as much as I could out from under the intake, but man what a PITA.

Speaking of that, I just read a half dozen bleed threads and everyone suggests something different.

With the pressure tool, I don't need to massage any hoses right? How warm does the car really need to be and when and for how long does the heater need to be turned on?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've always just spilled it. i figure if i wanted to, i could just rinse it off or at least dilute it enuff so when it evaporates, it won't matter.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

If you pull the intake, you can undo that cable without cracking the coolant. But, to your questions, I hate all the coolant spilling on the motor, so now use one of these -- works great!

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mitmv4535.html
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool - can you explain how that thing hooks up and works with our engine?

Quick Reply: Couple Coolant Bleeding Questions...