Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a block bend sitting on an engine stand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone just put an engine on a stand, and reply to this thread in a few years. Problem solved.

If it does, or doesn't happen, how long has anyone here had an engine stored on a stand? If its taking you years to build an engine, I would worry about the assembly lube turning to liquid and running out of the bearings and bores LONG before I would worry about the block tweeking.

Is this even worth talking about?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 AM
derekvg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddjob,

i agree, it's a non-issue.

but there is a certain deformation, but yust to small to matter.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Banshee
Instructor

As a degreed and employed ME, I dont believe aluminum alloy pressure castings are subject to creep distortion below about 300 deg F. Certainly not at room temperature and certainly not at the low stresses that would be induced by the block's own weight.

And this aspect of materials science/engineering is pretty well known and studied, so auto manufacturers are not going to make engine blocks out of some poor material alloy that is subject to creep at low temps and stresses.

So, call it call it closed minded, but I am still saying this is a non-issue.
How you wrote in your response Oddjob, was perfectly fine. What i dont think people understand about being close-minded is its mostly making themselves look like a fool. You, in this case oddjob, were perfectly logical in providing a counter argument for a block being bent over a small period of time.

Your whole post is not close-minded at all, what is very foolish though is how you came across the first time to where you acted like you knew nothing at all about the situation, and then calling it utter bs when i am sure you easily could have typed your last post which probably didn't take that long.

That is all.

Edit: Somehow, the last 5 posts or so have been what we should have had in the beginning. Instead of a bunch of useless trolls posting everywhere giving their 2 cents, its nice to have a somewhat intelligent discussion about it. Congrats, you saved the thread lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So anyone who posts a vote on a subject that everyone agrees is silly is automatically a useless troll?

I think leaving a block on a stand for a long time is OK. But if you're absolutely paranoid, couldn't you just turn it over on the stand every few weeks?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I built my spare engine in an egine stand. I then left it in the stand for 2+ years before I installed it. Once installed... I ran perfect.

Guys metal can creep and metal can elasticly deform. Metal creep occurs at high temps. The temp needs to be some 75% of the melting temps at minium. However the actual creep characteristics are very dependant on the alloy, loads, and temps so 75% thing is very rough guess.

Point is temperature of a garage even in the Phoenix heat is too low for creep to be an issue. Plus the only load is the static load. Again not enough load.

The block can elastictly deform. Elasticly means it moves, but when the load is changed it moves back like nothing ever happend. Not I am not certain what might happen if you ran the engine with only the bell housing supports. It might not run right due to elastic deformation. Even so we don't run engines on stands so that is a non issue. The engine will turn over by hand just fine so even then my guess is there is not enough deformation to cause issues.

The real danger is plastic deformation at the bolt holes if you put too much weight on the end the block. For example if your bolts are not tight and you hang off the end you could bend the bolts (if you are lucky) or bend are of the bolt holes. Given the engine is 350-400 lbs adding another 200 off the end is not good, but probably is still ok.

So bottomline is you think it can damage it are not even close to being right.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Well um, i have explained the difference between posting a vote and then making yourself look like an *******. Trust me, if i hadn't mentioned anything i am sure Frporscheman that you would not have replied in as lightly as a way as you just did.

Theres a big difference between flaming just because everyone else is doing it and inputting your opinion. But hey? At least we know one thing for sure, i think we've established that engine blocks cannot bend ENOUGH to keep the engine from running, someone should tell that guy in the other thread.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

****, my wheels probably aren't even round anymore since they've been sitting in the same spot for so long.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
goldminer
Instructor

I have a degree in Metallurgy. The stand will deform before the block will.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee
so many people .... are so close-minded that it just puts a sour taste in my mouth from even reading this thread. Its ridiculous.
what is very foolish though is how you came across the first time to where you acted like you knew nothing at all about the situation...
....then making yourself look like an *******.

So by virtue of giving a curt answer, or agreeing with someone that gives a short answer, I am a close-minded, ridiculous, foolish, know-nothing *******?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goldminer
I have a degree in Metallurgy. The stand will deform before the block will.
yay good call.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Now that we've settled the engine block question, should I worry about my mufflers bearings while my car is stored over the winter? I changed my blinker fluid before storage so I'm confident they will be OK.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well um, i have explained the difference between posting a vote and then making yourself look like an *******. Trust me, if i hadn't mentioned anything i am sure Frporscheman that you would not have replied in as lightly as a way as you just did.

Theres a big difference between flaming just because everyone else is doing it and inputting your opinion. But hey? At least we know one thing for sure, i think we've established that engine blocks cannot bend ENOUGH to keep the engine from running, someone should tell that guy in the other thread.

i dont understand. If i say "it cant happen" and you say "it cant happen because................................................................. ........"

Whose more right? is that what your arguing?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I think the "flaming just because everyone else is doing it' is the funniest stuff. The original post was well answered. The intervening humor was enjoyable. Facts and fun.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Banshee
Instructor

So by virtue of giving a curt answer, or agreeing with someone that gives a short answer, I am a close-minded, ridiculous, foolish, know-nothing *******?
Ya...basically. The OP is clearly asking a serious question...give some evidence so that he doesn't have to read through one whole page before he can get some solid logic. Is that too much to ask? Honestly...you can tell it was some sort of a common myth as there have been a few people who have agreed but probably swung back to reality on the idea that a block is just too rigid to warp like that.

i dont understand. If i say "it cant happen" and you say "it cant happen because................................................................. ........"

Whose more right? is that what your arguing?
Yes, again when you resort to blatant 3 word answers versus giving any input at all, its probably most likely NOT helping the OP. Rather your just tacking on one more post to your total under your avatar while adding nothing but pathetic flaming humor to the thread as a whole. See, now i have gone too far but it seems i have hit it on the nose. If anything bothers me more, its BS like this. Im over it yesterday lol.

Some people are at different levels of knowledge base, one of those being the knowledge or basic idea of how strong aluminium really is compared to its stronger steel counterpart. Thus, a warped block isn't that far fetched for some people as it is others. Josh better give me a damn cookie after explaining all this lol.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Banshee
Instructor

I think the "flaming just because everyone else is doing it' is the funniest stuff. The original post was well answered. The intervening humor was enjoyable. Facts and fun.
Im in the minority, i have never found it amusing for even ...well except for that one guy that posts from his cellphone. Lol, but other than that, it gets annoying after awhile. Dont even get me started on how discouraged i am from even making a thread if all i could get are flaming bull**** comments, because i really have no one else to ask about my car, so a stupid question is more likely to come from me then anyone else.

Quick Reply: Can a block bend sitting on an engine stand?