Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a block bend sitting on an engine stand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends... How hot is the room it's in? If close to the melting point of aluminum....
Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

can an engine bend enough to cause a problem ? that's for you all to decide. metal is not a solid until it gets extremely cold. until that point it is a semi liquid no different than glass. the **** bends. an engine needs to be on a flat surface. the first time i saw these engine stands, with the engine hanging over, i was like.... you got to be kidding me. best to rest it on a big rubber mat right on the floor when you're not working on it. have that block supported as much as possible.

once the cylider heads are on board the tendency for an engine to change it's shape is greatly reduced.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 01-25-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I really can't see this being true except for rare and strange circumstances.

Think about it: As long as people have been building engines (sometimes leaving them on stands in their garage for several years) wouldn't you think this would be common knowledge for car guys by now?

I just can't see a block being big enough to do this at a very alarming rate
Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
If you don't turn the engine over by hand periodically in the winter, your drive shaft will sag between bearings.
Sounds like a great idea for a new Ebay product...

"New! - Crank Storage Rotator All Makes/Models +HP Free Ship"
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlturpin
That sounds like the old saying that if you leave a rifle sat in the corner with the barrel against the wall, it will bend the barrel.
i think that only applys to Guitars. Metal might be a different story
Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
luftpirate
Pro

It's a huge problem with wing spars on 747s. That's why in 2011 the FAA is mandating all commercial airliners be stored in upside-down hangars.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_(engineering)

Does an engine sitting on a stand bend? Yes. Permanently? No. "Plastic deformation" only occurs in metals if the stress exceeds its yield strength. Pretty unlikely that an engine which is designed for the loads of combustion to last hundreds of thousands of miles would see stresses exceeding yield strength while it's sitting still on an engine stand. I guess you might see yield around the bolts holding it on the stand, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it could bend if it hung there for a long time. I know a crankshaft can bend if left leaning against a wall and it gets real hot. The engine is much more rigid when it is complete. I never leave on on a stand if I am not working on it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Lol but seriously, i love how so many people not just on technical forums, rather these forums which happen to have a reputation of friendly helpful people that can help you with any P car problem, are so close-minded that it just puts a sour taste in my mouth from even reading this thread. Its ridiculous.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by luftpirate
Sounds like a great idea for a new Ebay product...

"New! - Crank Storage Rotator All Makes/Models +HP Free Ship"
i duno dood..i think i shoudl take that to prototype and ebay it. i'll def make some money
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Normally I wouldn't believe this. But, years ago as a Bell Lab research scientist I saw a demo at a conference. Someone mounted a manhole cover on an optical table, took some holographic images, then put a DIME on the edge and retook the images. You could see the miniscule effect of the distortion of the weight of the dime on the manhole cover.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

The microstructure of glass and metals are not the same. Glass is an amorphous solid - it is more like a very viscous liquid at room temperature. It does not have the crystalline regular lattice structure found in metallic solids. Two different animals...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 AM
derekvg
Track Day

Originally Posted by vt951
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_(engineering)

Does an engine sitting on a stand bend? Yes. Permanently? No. "Plastic deformation" only occurs in metals if the stress exceeds its yield strength. Pretty unlikely that an engine which is designed for the loads of combustion to last hundreds of thousands of miles would see stresses exceeding yield strength while it's sitting still on an engine stand. I guess you might see yield around the bolts holding it on the stand, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
not many mechanical engineers on rennlist i guess??
it has nothing to do with strenght, or yield strength.

deformation of a material that is exposed to stress or pressure is called creep.
for example an engine on a stand.
because of the stress and pressure on the material, movements in the material on atomic level (yes there is) tend to happen uneven. this results in deformation.

is it enought for an engine to damnage? i dont have experience with it, and measuring would be extremely hard.
i think the spots where the stand is connected to the engine will deform, after some years for example.
the deformation in the center line bore will be too small to matter.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 AM
derekvg
Track Day

dit found the information on wiki for those who want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_(deformation)
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

As a degreed and employed ME, I dont believe aluminum alloy pressure castings are subject to creep distortion below about 300 deg F. Certainly not at room temperature and certainly not at the low stresses that would be induced by the block's own weight.

And this aspect of materials science/engineering is pretty well known and studied, so auto manufacturers are not going to make engine blocks out of some poor material alloy that is subject to creep at low temps and stresses.

So, call it call it closed minded, but I am still saying this is a non-issue.

Quick Reply: Can a block bend sitting on an engine stand?