Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of my race seats and redline rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the John Hajny Redline bar. Very, very nice. IIRC, the bolts are essentially all in shear if a roll results in a major impact on the roof. IMO, this is the weakest spot of his design, which I must say is very elegant and well executed. Anyone know the size of the bolts?

The next improvement to this design is to add some removable members with a large base to rest snug against the chassis (o distribute the load so the bolts in the rear outboard lap bolt don't have to take the full load (in shear). I think this can be incorporated into John's design in a straightforward manner due to the current geometry of the tubing/pipe used in the B-pillar area. A little extra time to install, a little extra money, but it would be worth it to me.

As an aside, my recent (and first!) DE instructor is friends with John. I rode shotgun with my instructor while we followed John in his 944 NA around the track. My instructor was pointing out all the things I should emulate. Mr. Hajny is one very impressive driver to say the least. Any DE fans should checkout his website article on driving on the track.

Mike

Quick Reply: pics of my race seats and redline rollbar