Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing camshaft sprocket on S2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Allldi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing camshaft sprocket on S2

I posted this question in the S2 specific forum and had no luck so I'm going to post it here. I want to remove my camshafts. I have the triple square bolt in the center of the camshaft sprocket removed. The factory manual says to install three "temporary retaining bolts" into the sprocket to avoid upsetting the camshaft timing. Now that I have the central triple square bolt removed from the sprocket, do I have to remove those three bolts to get the sprocket off? If anyone knows the answer to this question, please let me know.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No that pig should slide off! As long as you removed the timing belt and that center bolt...

Why do you wanna remove your cams?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:37 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts
I had this problem. I think someone had overtorqued the cheesehead cam bolt, wHich slightly musroomed the cam. The cam sprocket came off, but I had to use a puller on the cam sprocket hub, and it broke. I got a new hub, but I had to file off a litle bump next to the cam keyway to slide the new one on. It was pretty slight, but enough to help me crack the hub trying to get the thing off.

If you pull your cams, a cam chain is dirt cheap, as iS the tensioner pad, might as well replace them. If you mark the relationship between the hub and cam sprocket very carefully you can put it back together without goofing up the cam timing. I also made a timing tape and carefully measured the cam timing with a dial indicator when I put it all back together. When I got it right, the marks I made when I pulled it apart matched up again. The car runs great and pulls strong.

I got another hub from my local, but I probably should have gotten it from Zims and saved a few bucks, however Zims wants $25 for the tensioner pad which is $3 at the local dealer if you know the part number.

-Joel.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:55 AM
Allldi
6th Gear

I figured it was supposed to slide off of there without removing those bolts. I want to remove my camshafts because I am removing my head. There is no way that you guys know of removing the camshafts without removing the sprocket is there? My sprocket won't budge. Joel, you confused me a little. Are you saying that since yours wouldn't slide off of there that you removed the three bolts, removed the sprocket, and then used a puller on the hub; or did you use the puller on the whole assembly? Also, I've heard that there are different types of pullers. What kind did you use?
Old 09-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you gotta get the cam gear of to pull the head,
Can you slide the gear from left to right?
The cam belt is removed right?

I cant see some one puttin on the center gear and mushrooing the front of the cam! Its hardened steel........ But it still can get marred
up a bit........But not ballon up..........
Old 09-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Allldi
6th Gear

Thumbs up

The craziest thing just happenend! Just now I was going to go out and spray it with some Liquid Wrench with the hope that I could get it off. Well, I got out the can but before I sprayed it, I tried to give it a tugg and the damn thing slid right off! Last weekend it didn't want to budge. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Removing camshaft sprocket on S2